Central Michigan Chippewas men's basketball
|Central Michigan Chippewas|
|University||Central Michigan University|
|Head coach||Keno Davis (8th season)|
|Location||Mount Pleasant, Michigan|
|Arena||McGuirk Arena |
|Colors||Maroon and Gold|
|NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen|
|NCAA Tournament Round of 32|
|1975, 1977, 2003|
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|1975, 1977, 1987, 2003|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|Conference Regular Season Champions|
|1975, 1977, 1979, 1987, 2001, 2003, 2015|
|Conference Division Season Champions|
|2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016|
The Central Michigan Chippewas team is the basketball team that represent Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. The school's team currently competes in the Mid-American Conference. The team last played in the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament in 2003. The Chippewas are currently coached by Keno Davis.
The Chippewas have appeared in four NCAA Tournaments. Their combined record is 3–4.
Regional Third Place Game
|1977||First Round||Charlotte||L 86–91|
|1987||#13||First Round||UCLA||L 73–92|
The Chippewas have appeared in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) twice. Their combined record is 0–2.
|1979||First Round||Purdue||L 80–97|
|2015||#6||First Round||Louisiana Tech||L 79–89|
College Basketball Invitational (CBI) results
The Chippewas have appeared in the Division I College Basketball Invitational (CBI) once. Their record is 0-1.
|2019||First Round||DePaul||L 86-100|
The Chippewas have appeared in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) two times. Their combined record is 2–2.
|2016||First Round||UT Martin||L 73–76|
NAIA Tournament results
Central Michigan went to the NAIA Tournament twice, garnering a record of 2–2. Former coach Ted Kjolhede was named NAIA Coach of the Year for 1966.
Notable former players
The Chippewas have retired six numbers, in honor of seven different players.
|Central Michigan Chippewas retired numbers|
- Dan Majerle (NBA All Star in 1992, 1993, 1995) (Retired number)
- Dan Roundfield (NBA All Star in 1980, 1981, 1982) (Retired number)
- Chris Kaman (NBA All Star in 2010)
- Ben Poquette (NBA 1977-1987) (Retired number)
- Jim McElroy (NBA 1975-1982) (Retired number)
- Ben Kelso (NBA 1973-1974) (Retired number)
- Nate Huffman (NBA 2002-2003)
- Melvin McLaughlin (NBA 6th round draft pick 1983) (Retired number)
- Earvin Leavy (NBA 7th round draft pick 1987)
- Mike Robinson (NBA 7th round draft pick 1981)
- Jeff Tropf (NBA 7th round draft pick 1979)
- Val Bracey (NBA 9th round draft pick 1979)
- Paul Botts (NBA 9th round draft pick 1971)
- Dave Guauzer (NBA 10th round draft pick 1978)
- Don Edwards (Retired number)
- Marcus Keene (Professional Basketball Player)
- Graphic Identity Guidelines (PDF). Central Michigan University Brand Identity Standards. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 4, 2017. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "2018–19 Central Michigan Chippewas record book, page 3" (PDF). Central Michigan Chippewas. October 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
|This college basketball-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a basketball team in Michigan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|