Chairman of the European Union Military Committee
|Chairman of the European Union Military Committee|
CEUMC coat of arms
EUMC coat of arms
|European Union Military Committee|
|Reports to||High Representative|
|Seat||Kortenberg building, Brussels, Belgium|
|Term length||3 years|
|Inaugural holder||General Gustav Hägglund|
The Chairman of the European Union Military Committee (CEUMC) is the four-star rank officer representing and presiding over the European Union's (EU) Military Committee (EUMC), composed of the chiefs of defence (CHODs) of the EU member states. The chairman is selected by the national chiefs of defence and appointed by the Council of the European Union for a three year term.
The chairman has the following tasks:
- Acting as the spokesperson for the EUMC
- Participating in Political and Security Committee meetings as appropriate
- Acting as the military adviser to the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (HR) who heads the EEAS European External Action Service
- Representing the primary point of contact with the Operation Commanders of the EU's military operations
- Attending Council meetings with defence and security implications
Working Group/Headline Goal Task Force
|Director General EUMS/|
|Legal advisor||Deputy Director General||Horizontal Coordination|
|Assistant Chief of Staff for Synchronisation||EU cell at SHAPE||EU Liaison at the UN in NY||Assistant Chief of Staff for External Relations||NATO Permanent Liaison Team|
|Concepts & Capabilities|
|Communications & Information Systems|
|Military Planning and|
Conduct Capability (MPCC)
Role in command and control of missions
- Liaison: Advice and recommendations Support and monitoring Preparatory work
|Political strategic level:|
|ISS||EUCO Pres. (EUCO)||Chain of command|
|INTCEN||HR/VP (PMG)||HR/VP (PSC) (******)|| |
DGEUMS (***) (EUMS)
|Military/civilian strategic level:|
Dir MPCC (***) (MPCC)
|JSCC||Civ OpCdr CPCC(*)|
|MFCdr (****) (MFHQ)||HoM (*)|
|CC(**) Land||CC(**) Air||CC(**) Mar||Other CCs(**)|
- *In the event of a CSDP Civilian Mission also being in the field, the relation with the Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability (CPCC) and its Civilian Operation Commander (Civ OpCdr), as well as the subordinate Head of Mission (HoM), are coordinated as shown.
- **Other Comonent Commanders (CCs) and service branches which may be established
- ***The MPCC is part of the EUMS and Dir MPCC is double-hatted as DGEUMS. Unless the MPCC is used as Operation Headquarters (OHQ), either a national OHQ offered by member states or the NATO Command Structure (NCS) would serve this purpose. In the latter instance, Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe (DSACEUR), rather than Dir MPCC, would serve as Operation Commander (OpCdr).
- ****Unless the MPCC is used as Operation Headquarters (OHQ), the MFCdr would be known as a Force Commander (FCdr), and direct a Force Headquarters (FHQ) rather than a MFHQ. Whereas the MFHQ would act both on the operational and tactical level, the FHQ would act purely on the operational level.
- *****The political strategic level is not part of the C2 structure per se, but represents the political bodies, with associated support facilities, that determine the missions' general direction. The Council determines the role of the High Representative (HR/VP), who serves as Vice-President of the European Commission, attends European Council meetings, chairs the Foreign Affairs Council (FAC) and may chair the Political and Security Committee (PSC) in times of crisis. The HR/VP proposes and implements CSDP decisions.
- ******Same composition as Committee of Permanent Representatives (COREPER) II, which also prepares for the CSDP-related work of the FAC.
List of holders
|No.||Chairman||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Defence branch||Nationality||Ref|
|3 June 2001||9 April 2004||2 years, 311 days|
Rolando Mosca Moschini
|9 April 2004||6 November 2006||2 years, 211 days|
|6 November 2006||6 November 2009||3 years, 0 days|
|6 November 2009||6 November 2012||3 years, 0 days|
Patrick de Rousiers
|6 November 2012||6 November 2015||3 years, 0 days|
|6 November 2015||6 November 2018||3 years, 0 days|
|6 November 2018||Incumbent||1 year, 4 days|
- High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- Director General of the European Union Military Staff
- Chairman of the NATO Military Committee
- Supreme Allied Commander Europe
- EU Command and Control, p. 13, Military Staff
- "General Kostarakos elected president of the EU Military Committee". To Vima. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.