Chamness, Illinois

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Chamness is a former unincorporated community in Williamson County, Illinois that disappeared with the establishment of the Ordill in the late 1930s and takeover by the Department of War in 1941 following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The site of the community is now located within the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge southwest of Marion.

The community was established 24 January 1889 and discontinued 30 April 1902. The name came from the first two postmasters, Marshall E. and Albert E. Chamness.[1]


  1. ^ James N. Adams, comp. 1989. Illinois Place Names. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois State Historical Society. 317.

Coordinates: 37°40′37″N 88°59′19″W / 37.67694°N 88.98861°W / 37.67694; -88.98861