Cherokee Nation of Mexico
The Cherokee Nation of Mexico, also known as the Cherokee Nation of Sequoyah of Mexico, Texas, and U.S.A. Reservation and Church is an organization of individuals who claim descent from Cherokee tribe who migrated to Mexico during the 19th century. They are an unrecognized tribe with a presence in Zaragoza, Coahuila, Mexico. According to Robert J. Conley, the Cherokee Nation of Mexico is recognized by the state of Coahuilla; however, according to the Instituto Nacional de Lenguas Indígenas, which manages the official surveys of indigenous groups in Mexico, the only Native Mexicans in Coahuila are the Kickapoo people.
Their chief is Charles L. Rogers. Charles L. Rogers, the Ancient Cherokee Church of Mexico, the Cherokee Nation of Mexico, and the Native American Church sued American Express Bank and others in Texas Western District Court in 2013.
The Cherokee Nation of Mexico Texas and Coahuila Reservation and Church was headquartered in Brownsville, Texas, United States. Today they are an IRS 170(b)(1)(A)(i) organization, listed as a "Religion-Related, Spiritual Development" and Christian church, with Unconditional Tax Exemption, located in Dripping Springs, Texas.
- Cherokees in Albuquerque, New Mexico, an outlier branch of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
- Cherokee cultural citizenship
- Cherokee heritage groups
- Mexican Kickapoo
- "Cherokee." Four Directions Institute. 2007. Retrieved 26 Aug 2013.
- Conley 227
- "Catalogo de las Lenguas Indígenas Nacionales: Variantes." Instituto Nacional de Lenguas Indígenas. Page 36. ‹See Tfd›(in Spanish) 14 Jan 2008. Retrieved 26 Aug 2013.
- Glenn, Eddie. "A League of Nations?" Tahlequah Daily Press. 6 Jan 2006. Retrieved 26 Aug 2013.
- "Rogers et al, The Cherokee Nation of Mexico And The Native American Church, et al vs. American Express Bank, FSB, AEFSB, et al." Justia Dockets and Filings. Retrieved 26 Aug 2013.
- "Cumulative List of Organizations Described in Section 170 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, Issue 1." Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, 1997.
- "Cherokee Nation of Sequoyah in mex tx & us reservation & church." 501c3 Lookup. Retrieved 26 Aug 2013.
- Conley, Robert. A Cherokee Encyclopedia. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2007. ISBN 978-082633951-5.
- Cherokee Nation of Mexico, official website