Chief digital officer
A chief digital officer (CDO) or a chief digital information officer (CDIO) is an individual who helps a company, a government organization or a city drive growth by converting traditional "analog" businesses to digital ones using the potential of modern online technologies and data (i.e., digital transformation), and at times oversees operations in the rapidly changing digital sectors like mobile applications, social media and related applications, virtual goods, as well as web-based information management and marketing.
The responsibilities of an organization's CDO are varied and still evolving as the future of a CIO for digital businesses. The CDO is not only a digital expert, but may also be a seasoned general manager.  As the role frequently is transformational, CDOs generally are responsible for the adoption of digital technologies across a business. As with most senior executive titles, the responsibilities are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's legal structure. The CDO is responsible not just for digital consumer experiences across all business touch points, but also for the whole process of digital transformation.
According to a study by Gartner, a predicted 25% of businesses will have created and filled the chief digital officer title by 2015. Research by PwC in 2020 indicates that 21% of large public enterprises had created such a role by 2020, with growth decelerating.
- "'Chief Digital Officer' is the next hot executive title, says Gartner". Betanews.com. 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "What Does A CDO Do Anyway?". Mediabistro.com. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- The Chief Digital Officer Handbook. Buckingham. ISBN 1502811022.
- Obwegeser, Nikolaus. "How to Choose the Right Digital Leader for Your Company". MIT Sloan Management Review. Retrieved 2020-09-18.
- "Why CIOs May Morph Into the Chief Digital Officer". blogs.wsj.com. 2012-11-18. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Digital: transforms modern businesses and delivers a global 360 degree vision". Betanews.com.
- "Digital Transformation".
- "Gartner: Do you have a Chief Digital Officer? You're gonna need one". Networkworld.com. 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- "From dazzling to departed - why Chief Digital Officers are doomed to fail". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2020-05-30.
- Acker, Pierre Péladeau and Olaf. "Have we reached "peak" chief digital officer?". strategy+business. Retrieved 2020-05-30.