Christopher T. Walsh
Christopher T. Walsh
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Known for||Enzyme kinetics, antibiotic resistance|
Christopher T. Walsh is a Hamilton Kuhn professor of biological chemistry and pharmacology at Harvard Medical School. His research focuses on enzymes and enzyme inhibition, and most recently he is focused on the problem of antibiotic resistance. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1989.
Early life and education
Walsh earned his A.B. degree in biology from Harvard University in 1965. As an undergraduate, he worked with E. O. Wilson and published a first author paper in the journal Nature, where he and his colleagues described the composition of the fire ant trail substance. He went on to graduate school at Rockefeller University, where he earned his Ph.D. in life science in 1970.
Walsh completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Brandeis University in 1972, and later that year joined the faculty at Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a professor of chemistry and biology. In 1987, he joined the faculty at Harvard Medical School, where he remains to this day. Walsh has authored more than 650 publications in scholarly journals and trained several graduate students and postdoctoral researchers. Among his professional activities, Walsh is a member of the Board of Scientific Governors of The Scripps Research Institute.
- Enzymatic Reaction Mechanisms (1978). Published by Freeman Inc (ISBN 978-0716700708).
- Antibiotics: Actions, Origins, Resistance (2003), by Christopher Walsh. Published by ASM Press (ISBN 978-1555812546).
- Post-translation Modification of Proteins: Expanding Nature's Inventory (2006), by C.T. Walsh. Published by Roberts and Company (ISBN 0974707732).
- "Walsh Laboratory". Harvard Medical School. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "Speakers: Christopher T. Walsh, Ph.D." Duke University Health System. 2006. Archived from the original on 9 September 2006. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Walsh, Christopher T.; J.H. Law; E.O. Wilson (1965). "Purification of the Fire Ant Trail Substance" (PDF). Nature. Nature Publishing Group. 207 (4994): 320–321. doi:10.1038/207320b0. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Beeson, Teresa D. "The Career of Christopher T. Walsh" (PDF). Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Van der Donk, Wilfred A. (October 2005). "Book Reviews: The protein modification repertoire" (PDF). Nature Chemical Biology. Nature Publishing Group. 1 (5): 243. doi:10.1038/nchembio1005-243. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 29, 2009. Retrieved 18 January 2010.