Clarendon Stone Store
Clarendon Stone Store
|Location||16301 E. Lee Rd., Clarendon, New York|
|NRHP reference No.||12000258|
|Added to NRHP||May 9, 2012|
The Clarendon Stone Store, also known as the Old Stone Store or the Copeland Store, is an historic commercial building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located in the hamlet of Clarendon, in the town of Clarendon, New York, the building sits at the corner of New York State Route 31A (East Lee Road) and New York State Route 237 (Holley–Byron Road).
Like many structures in the region, the store was one of the first buildings in the world built with Medina sandstone, as the material was plentiful in the surrounding fields. The first proprietor of the store was David Sturges. His son-in-law, George Copeland, operated it from 1843 until 1892, giving it one of its alternative names, the Copeland Store. At various points, the building housed post office and town court functions in addition to the general store.
Even after Copeland's family sold the building, it remained a general store and Clarendon landmark until 1975. Eventually, the building was converted to apartments, but the building was condemned in 2007. The town took over ownership in April 2011, and in December 2012 reached an agreement to sell it to a couple from Hilton for one dollar. The two buyers are experienced with renovation of historic properties and have plans to complete renovation by the end of 2013. Their intent is to put commercial space on the first floor, with an apartment on the second.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 5/14/12 through 5/18/12. National Park Service. 2012-05-25.
- Murphy, Justin (May 29, 2012). "Got a buck for a building?". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. Gannett Company. pp. 1A, 4A. Archived from the original on May 29, 2012. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- Murphy, Justin (December 10, 2012). "Old Stone Store in Clarendon has buyer". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. Gannett Company. pp. 1B, 4B. Archived from the original on December 10, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
|This article about a historic property or district in Orleans County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|