Claudia Lynn Cowan
c. 1963/1964 (age 56–57)
|Alma mater||University of California, Santa Barbara|
University of California, Los Angeles
|Occupation||Television news reporter|
|Television||Fox News Channel|
|Spouse(s)||Steve Baker (div.)|
|Parent(s)||Barbara Rush (mother)|
Warren Cowan (father)
|Relatives||Carolyn Hennesy (cousin)|
Early life and education
Cowan is the daughter of actress Barbara Rush (who also attended UC Santa Barbara) and publicist Warren Cowan, co-founder of Rogers & Cowan, a worldwide public relations firm. She attended the University of California, Santa Barbara prior to graduating from the University of California, Los Angeles.
She began her career at KTTV-TV (FOX) in Los Angeles, where she worked her way up from being a messenger to an on-air reporter. She then moved to KMST-TV in Monterey, California as a desk assistant, and worked her way up to reporter, anchor of the noon news, then co-anchor of the weekend evening news where she also spent time producing and editing. From there, she spent seven years at KOVR-TV13 (CBS) in Sacramento, California, covering breaking news and state politics, and anchoring the morning and midday newscasts. In 1995, she moved to KRON-4 (NBC) in San Francisco to report for the evening news.
In April 1998, she was hired by the newly launched Fox News Channel, as their Bay Area correspondent. While reporting on the 2014 Isla Vista shootings on a May 26, 2014 Fox News newscast, she says she went to UCSB where the shootings occurred.
- Hyman, Jackie (March 6, 1982). "Barbara Rush Insists On Glamorous Image". The Schenectady Gazette. Schenectady, New York. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Saperstein, Pat (May 14, 2008). "Warren Cowan dies at 87". Variety. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "IMDB profile". Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- Stack, Peter (May 25, 1997). "Barbara Rush Still Striking Gold / Film queen in S.F. to star in play and see her daughter, KRON reporter Claudia Cowan". SFGate.com. San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Towle, Mimi (March 2013). "9 Questions For Claudia Cowan". Marin Magazine. Sausalito, California: 26. Retrieved November 20, 2014.