Clwyd West (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Clwyd West in Wales
|Electorate||56,845 (December 2018)|
|Major settlements||Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Ruthin|
|Member of Parliament||David Jones (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Clwyd South West and Clwyd North West|
|Welsh Assembly||North Wales|
Clwyd West (Welsh: Gorllewin Clwyd) is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (at Westminster). It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post method of election. The current MP is David Jones of the Conservative Party, first elected at the 2005 general election and who also served as Secretary of State for Wales from 4 September 2012 until 14 July 2014.
Following the Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies, as confirmed by The Parliamentary Constituencies and Assembly Electoral Regions (Wales) Order 2006, the constituency of Clwyd West is formed from the following electoral wards:
- In Conwy County Borough: Abergele Pensarn, Betws yn Rhos, Colwyn, Eirias, Gele, Glyn, Kinmel Bay, Llanddulas, Llandrillo yn Rhos, Llanfair Talhaiarn, Llangernyw, Llansannan, Llysfaen, Mochdre, Pentre Mawr, Rhiw, Towyn, Uwchaled
- In Denbighshire County: Efenechtyd, Llanarmon-yn-Ial/Llandegla, Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd/Llangynhafal, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd/Gwyddelwern, Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch, Ruthin.
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of Clwyd South West and Clwyd North West. In the 2005 election this constituency was the Conservative Party's twentieth target. The area has generally voted for Conservative candidates, though it was won by Labour in their 1997 and 2001 landslides.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Plaid Cymru||Elfed Williams||3,907||9.7||0.1|
|Liberal Democrats||David Wilkins||2,237||5.6||2.9|
|Plaid Cymru||Dilwyn Roberts||3,918||9.6||2.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Victor Babu||1,091||2.7||1.0|
|Plaid Cymru||Marc Jones||4,651||12.2||3.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Sarah Lesiter-Burgess||1,387||3.6||11.6|
|Socialist Labour||Bob English||612||1.6||N/A|
|Above and Beyond||Rory Jepson||194||0.5||N/A|
|Plaid Cymru||Llyr Gruffydd||5,864||15.4||4.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Michele Jones||5,801||15.2||1.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Frank Taylor||4,723||13.3||+1.9|
|Plaid Cymru||Eilian Williams||3,874||10.9||−2.0|
|Socialist Labour||Patrick Keenan||313||0.9||+0.9|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+1.8|
|Plaid Cymru||Elfed Williams||4,453||12.9||−0.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Robina L. Feeley||3,934||11.4||−1.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|Plaid Cymru||Eryl W. Williams||5,421||13.5||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Gwyn Williams||5,151||12.8||N/A|
|Conservatory||David K. Neal||583||1.4||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Clwyd West (Assembly constituency)
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Clwyd
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Wales
Notes and references
- "Electoral rolls by Welsh Assembly constituency areas and electoral regions". 2019 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "REPRESENTAION (sic) OF THE PEOPLE, WALES: REDISTRIBUTION OF SEATS: The Parliamentary Constituencies and Assembly Electoral Regions (Wales) Order 2006" (PDF). UK Government. 11 April 2006.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 5)[dead link]
- "The next Parliamentary Elections will be held on 12 December 2019" (PDF). Conwy County Borough Council. Conwy County Borough Council.
- Shane Brennan (30 April 2017). "Dilwyn Roberts is Plaid candidate for Clwyd West". NorthWalesLive. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- "General Election: Ex-Labour Clwyd MPs bid for Commons return". BBC News. 28 April 2017. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated" (PDF). Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Clwyd West Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Clwyd West result" (PDF). DECLARATION OF RESULT OF POLL. Conwy County Borough Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 September 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Clwyd West Archived 2011-06-12 at the Wayback Machine, Cyngor Conwy Council - candidates Clwyd West
- Clwyd West BBC Election - Clwyd West
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Official declaration of result of the poll (2005) (in PDF)
- Politics Resources (Election results from 1922 onwards)
- Electoral Calculus (Election results from 1955 onwards)
- 2017 Election House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report
- A Vision Of Britain Through Time (Constituency elector numbers)