Cottage Grove (town), Wisconsin
Cottage Grove, Wisconsin
"Where Everyone Is Your Neighbor"
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Website||Town of Cottage Grove, Wisconsin|
Cottage Grove is a town in Dane County, Wisconsin. As of the 2000 census, the town had a population of 3,839. The Village of Cottage Grove is located within the town. The unincorporated communities of Door Creek, Nora, and Vilas are also located in the town. The unincorporated community of Hoffman Corners is also located partially in the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,839 people, 1,338 households, and 1,118 families residing in the town. The population density was 115.0 people per square mile (44.4/km2). There were 1,356 housing units at an average density of 40.6 per square mile (15.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.89% White, 0.39% Black or African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.78% Asian, 0.16% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. 1.04% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,338 households, out of which 40.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.3% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.4% were non-families. 11.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 28.8% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 28.8% from 45 to 64, and 6.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $71,007, and the median income for a family was $72,246. Males had a median income of $45,379 versus $30,509 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,602. About 1.3% of families and 2.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 9.7% of those age 65 or over.
- Henry G. Klinefelter, Wisconsin State Representative and farmer, lived in the town.
- Albert M. Stondall, Wisconsin State Senator and businessman, was born in the town.
- "Town of Cottage Grove". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2019-08-26.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1889,' Biographical Sketch of Henry G. Klinefelter, pg. 505
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1907,' Biographical Sketch of Albert M. Stondall, pg. 1134-1135