Diplomatic relations between two countries were established on 4 May 1992 after Croatia declared independence from Yugoslavia. Malaysia opened its embassy in Zagreb in July 1994 while Croatia opened its embassy in Kuala Lumpur in November 1995. Malaysia also contributed in the peacekeeping missions during the War in Yugoslavia.
In 2008, the total trade between the two countries amounted to only $70 million. Currently, co-operation are only limited to the exchange of support in multilateral fields such as supporting each other's candidatures in various international organisations, co-operation in higher education, training and sports. Former Croatian President, Stjepan Mesić has said that he believe Malaysia should be one of the Croatian main partners in Southeast Asia and the co-operation between the two countries should be expand to other sectors. In 2002, an agreement on avoidance of double taxation and fiscal evasion has been signed which takes effect on 2005.
- "Embassy of the Republic of Croatia in Malaysia". Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, Croatia. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Official Website of Embassy of Malaysia, Zagreb". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Malaysia-Croatia Bilateral Relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "MALAYSIA COMES TO ZAGREB! Week-long Malaysian Cultural Festival will give Croatians a chance to catch a glimpse of Malaysia". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. 2009. Archived from the original on 11 December 2017. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "DIPLOMAT HOPEFUL OF BETTER CROATIA-MALAYSIA ECONOMIC TIES". Bernama. Yahoo! News. 11 May 2011. Archived from the original on 23 May 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF MALAYSIA AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION AND THE PREVENTION OF FISCAL EVASION WITH RESPECT TO TAXES ON INCOME" (PDF). Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia. 18 February 2002. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Croatia and the Government of Malaysia for avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evation with respect to taxes on income" (PDF). Big Haired. 18 February 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 May 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2014.