Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East (UK Parliament constituency)
|Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East in Scotland
|Major settlements||Croy, Cumbernauld, Greenfaulds|
|Member of Parliament||Stuart McDonald (SNP)|
|Created from||Cumbernauld and Kilsyth and Strathkelvin and Bearsden|
Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It was created for the 2005 general election, replacing Cumbernauld and Kilsyth and part of Strathkelvin and Bearsden.
The constituency covers the north of the North Lanarkshire council area, and small eastern and northern part of the East Dunbartonshire council area. It is currently represented by Stuart McDonald of the Scottish National Party, who overturned a Labour majority of nearly 14,000 to take 59.9% of the vote in the May 2015 general election.
With 38 letters (plus one comma and four spaces), Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East has the longest constituency name in the current Parliament.
This constituency brings together areas from North Lanarkshire and East Dunbartonshire councils. The western, mostly rural, areas including Lennoxtown, Milton of Campsie, Twechar and the Campsie hills are joined in the east and south by the eastern wards from Kirkintilloch and the entire towns of Cumbernauld and Kilsyth. These two latter areas formed one constituency prior to the 2000 review.
The new town of Cumbernauld is approximately 15 miles north-east of Glasgow.
Members of Parliament
|2015||Stuart McDonald||Scottish National Party|
|Liberal Democrats||Susan Murray||2,966||6.5||+3.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Rod Ackland||1,238||2.8||+0.6|
|Liberal Democrats||John Duncan||1,099||2.2||−7.3|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+31.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Rod Ackland||3,924||9.5||−5.3|
|Scottish Socialist||Willie O'Neill||476||1.2||−1.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Hugh O'Donnell||5,817||14.9||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Willie O'Neill||1,141||2.9||N/A|
|Christian Vote||Patrick Elliott||472||1.2||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)
- "UK Parliamentary Elections 2019". northlanarkshire.gov.uk. North Lanarkshire Council. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Cumbernauld, Kilsyth & Kirkintilloch East parliamentary constituency - Election 2019". Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election results". North Lanarkshire. 14 May 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.