Casali with the Tampa Bay Rays
|Cincinnati Reds – No. 12|
|Born: November 9, 1988|
Walnut Creek, California
|July 18, 2014, for the Tampa Bay Rays|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Runs batted in||97|
Curtis Michael Casali (born November 9, 1988) is an American professional baseball catcher for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut in 2014 with the Tampa Bay Rays.
Casali was born in Walnut Creek, California, but raised in New Canaan, Connecticut. Casali attended New Canaan High School, where he also starred in basketball, and football as a quarterback, leading the team to a state championship. Casali earned first-team All-State honors in football and baseball, and was named the second best prospect from Connecticut/Rhode Island in the June 2007 draft.
Casali played college baseball at Vanderbilt University. During his four years at Vanderbilt, he had a .316 batting average, a .430 on-base percentage, a .502 slugging percentage, 27 home runs, and 167 runs batted in (RBI). Casali made it to the College World Series finals in 2011 with Vanderbilt, but was eliminated by Florida in double elimination play. In 2008, he played collegiate summer baseball with the Hyannis Mets of the Cape Cod Baseball League, and returned to the league in 2010 to play for the Cotuit Kettleers.
Tampa Bay Rays
The Detroit Tigers selected Casali in the 10th round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft. He made his professional debut that season for the Connecticut Tigers. On March 25, 2013, the Tigers traded Casali to the Tampa Bay Rays for Kyle Lobstein. The Rays assigned him to the Charlotte Stone Crabs and then promoted him to the Montgomery Biscuits. In 35 games with Montgomery, Casali hit .383 with a .483 on-base percentage and .600 slugging percentage, with five home runs. Overall, he hit .317/.405/.489 and 10 home runs. In 2014, he was invited to spring training by the Rays. He returned to Montgomery to start the 2014 season. He was promoted to the Durham Bulls in May.
On July 18, 2014, Casali played his first major league game against the Minnesota Twins. He recorded a hit in his first at bat and a run later in the inning. On July 28, 2015 Casali hit two home runs in one game against the Detroit Tigers. One night later, Casali repeated the feat by hitting two homers against former teammate and fellow Vanderbilt alum David Price.
Casali opened the 2016 season in a platoon with Hank Conger. Casali hit .169 before being optioned to the Durham Bulls on August 4, 2016. He was outrighted to Triple-A on November 6, 2017, and elected free agency later that day.
Second stint with Rays
On March 21, 2018, Casali signed a minor league deal with the Tampa Bay Rays.
- "Curt Casali Bio - Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site". Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "New Canaan's Curt Casali finds success with Vanderbilt baseball". StamfordAdvocate. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Chris Blake (July 14, 2008). "Pitching Prowess Propels Mets Into West Race". capecodbaseball.org. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- Steve McCarthy (June 23, 2010). "Kettleers break up Brewster no-hitter, but lose 7-2". capecodbaseball.org. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- Devlin, Paul (June 8, 2011). "New Canaan's Casali Drafted by Detroit Tigers". Weston-Redding-Easton, CT Patch. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Rays acquire catcher Curt Casali from Tigers". Tampa Bay Rays. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Detroit trades Casali to Tampa Bay Rays". New Canaan Advertiser. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "New Canaan's Casali promoted to Tampa Bay's Double-A squad; goes 3-for-3 in debut". New Canaan News. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Casali promoted to Double-A Montgomery Biscuits". StamfordAdvocate. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Tampa Bay Rays Invite New Canaan's Curt Casali To Spring Training". New Canaan Daily Voice. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Biscuits Season Opener - Set for another go-round: Former Vanderbilt teammates share journey Archived May 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "Connecticut's Curt Casali moving up to Triple-A Durham Bulls". New Canaan Advertiser. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "New Canaan's Casali Rides Hot Streak Closer To Major Leagues". New Canaan Daily Voice. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Dinan, Terry (July 27, 2015). "New Canaan's Curt Casali Hits Two Home Runs for Tampa Bay Rays". NewCanaanite.com. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Dinan, Terry (July 28, 2015). "'Déjà Vu All Over Again': Casali Homers Twice for Second Consecutive Game". NewCanaanite.com. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Calcaterra, Craig Curt Casali is having one heck of a week NBC Sports. July 29, 2015
- Adams, Steve (November 28, 2017). "Angels Agree To Minor League Deals With Curt Casali, Colin Walsh". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Rangers Sign Curt Casali
- "Rays trade Curt Casali to Reds". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 4, 2019.