|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly|
from the 7th district
|Assumed office |
January 7, 2013
|Preceded by||Peggy Krusick|
|Born||December 10, 1986|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago (B.A) University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.)|
Riemer defeated incumbent Assembly member Peggy Krusick in the August 14, 2012 Democratic primary for the 7th Assembly district. Riemer was the presumptive winner in the November general election, as there were no other candidates in the race; but Krusick filed as an official write-in candidate against Riemer. In the end, Riemer won easily.
Krusick had been in the Assembly since before Riemer was born. Riemer, son of Democratic policy adviser David Riemer (budget director for former governor Jim Doyle), returned to University of Wisconsin Law School on a part-time basis in Fall 2012. He graduated in December 2013 and was admitted to the Wisconsin Bar in April 2014. The district, which includes parts of Milwaukee's south side, West Allis, West Milwaukee and Greenfield, had been drastically redrawn in the 2011 redistricting. He attended Rufus King High School.
Write-in campaign by Krusick
In September 2012 it was reported that Krusick was considering running a write-in campaign against Riemer in the November general election, and it was confirmed that she had contacted staff of the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board about the mechanics of such an effort, but had not yet filed registration documents for such a run.
On October 2, it was officially confirmed that she was running as a registered write-in candidate (under Wisconsin law, write-in candidates must register with the state to have their votes be individually counted, rather than lumped in with other write-in votes). She set up a new website and began a direct mail campaign boasting about her "independent track record." She did not return press calls, and it was unclear who was funding her campaign against her party's nominee.
Riemer won easily in the end, with 16,664 votes (85.4%) to Krusick's 2499 (12.8%) and 361 scattered votes (1.8%).
- Henzl, Ann-Elise. "Daniel Riemer Ousts Longtime Representative Peggy Krusick" WUWM News; August 14, 2012
- Bice, Daniel. "Krusick launches write-in campaign for Assembly" No Quarter Blog, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Oct. 2, 2012
- Bauter, Alison. "New 7th District boundaries jostle Democratic primary" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel July 30, 2012
- Bice, Daniel. "Krusick considers write-in campaign" No Quarter Blog, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel September 14, 2012
- New Krusick website
- Wisconsin Governmental Accountability Board. "2012 PRESIDENTIAL AND GENERAL ELECTION: ASSEMBLY - DISTRICT 7" 11/21/2012 1:57:46 PM Page 7 of 99
- Richards, Erin & Carloni, Brittany. "Union backed candidates sweep Milwaukee School Board elections." Milwaukee Journal Sentinel April 4, 2017