David Cox (basketball)
|Born||October 17, 1973|
|1991–1995||William & Mary|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1996–1999||Archbishop Carroll HS (assistant)|
|2012||Rutgers (interim HC)|
|2014–2018||Rhode Island (assistant)|
|Head coaching record|
Earning a master's degree in education from William & Mary in 1996, Cox embarked on an education and coaching career, which saw him get his start in coaching at Archbishop Carroll (DC) as an assistant coach for the boys basketball team. In addition to high school coaching, Cox coached AAU basketball with D.C. Assault before landing his first college basketball position as the director of basketball operations under Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh in 2006. Cox then returned to the Washington, D.C. area to serve as an assistant coach at Georgetown under John Thompson III from 2007 to 2010. In 2010, Cox joined the basketball staff at Rutgers under Mike Rice Jr., reuniting the pair after both being assistants at Pittsburgh.
After Rice was suspended by Rutgers during an investigation into his abusive behavior toward players, Cox served as interim head coach of the team, compiling a 3-0 record, however Rutgers credits all wins and losses to Rice during the 2012-13 season. Cox remained on Rutgers' staff for one season under Eddie Jordan, before being relieved of his duties following the 2013-14 season.
Cox joined Dan Hurley's staff at Rhode Island as an assistant coach in 2014 and was a part of the Rams' Atlantic 10 conference tournament and regular season title squads that participated in the NCAA Tournament in 2017 and 2018.
On April 4, 2018, Cox was elevated to the position of head coach, becoming the 20th head coach in Rhode Island history as he replaced Hurley who departed for the head men's basketball coaching position at UConn.
Head coaching record
|Rhode Island Rams (Atlantic 10) (2018–present)|
|2019–20||Rhode Island||21–9||13–5||3rd||Postseason not held|
|Rhode Island:||39–24(.619)||22–14 (.611)|
- "David Cox Named 20th Rhode Island Men's Basketball Coach". 4 April 2018.
- "David Cox College Stats - College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com". College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com.
- "Rhode Island". Rhode Island.
- "David Cox Bio". guhoyas.com.
- "David Cox Named Associate Head Men's Basketball Coach". Rutgers University.
- "Rutgers suspends coach Mike Rice three games".
- "Rutgers associate head coach David Cox relieved of duties with Scarlet Knights".
- "Rhode Island promotes assistant David Cox to succeed Dan Hurley". 4 April 2018.
|This biographical article relating to a United States basketball coach is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|