Sir David Christopher Graham Skegg New Zealand epidemiologist and university administrator. He is an Emeritus Professor in the Department of Preventive and Social Medicine at the University of Otago. He was the Vice-Chancellor of the University from 2004 to 2011 and President of the Royal Society of New Zealand from 2012 to 2015. His primary research interest is cancer epidemiology.(born 16 December 1947) is a
Skegg was born in Auckland and attended King's College, Auckland. He entered the medical course at the University of Otago, travelling on exchange to Harvard University. He later received a (postgraduate) Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford, joining Balliol College and working with noted epidemiologist Sir Richard Doll.
Returning to Otago, Skegg took up the departmental chair in Preventive and Social Medicine in 1980. He was the Vice-Chancellor of the university from 2004 to 2011. He was President of the Royal Society of New Zealand from July 2012 to 2015.
Skegg has acted as a consultant to the World Health Organization and to the New Zealand government. He chaired the Health Research Council, the Science Board, and the Public Health Commission. In the 1991 New Year Honours, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, for services to medicine, and in the 2009 New Year Honours, he was appointed a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, also for services to medicine. Later in 2009, he accepted re-designation as a Knight Companion following the restoration of titular honours by the New Zealand government. He has contributed to the study of cervical, breast and prostate cancer, as well as contraceptives and reproductive health.
- "Professor David Skegg". University of Otago. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- "Old Collegian becomes Otago University Chancellor". King's College. 2003. Archived from the original on 22 April 2004. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Smirk, Susan (2010). "Skegg". Critic Magazine. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011.
- Rutherford, Jill (2004). "To Lead" (PDF). Otago Magazine. University of Otago.
- "Conference of Executive Heads: Invited Speakers". Association of Commonwealth Universities. Archived from the original on 12 March 2009.
- "Royal Society of New Zealand announces new President". Royal Society of New Zealand. 12 March 2012. Archived from the original on 8 February 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Skegg, David (2019). The health of the people. Wellington, New Zealand: Bridget Williams Books. p. 141. ISBN 9781988545585. OCLC 1089437275.
- "No. 52383". The London Gazette (2nd supplement). 31 December 1990. p. 30.
- "New Year honours list 2009". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 31 December 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "Special honours list 1 August 2009". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 1 August 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- Johnston, Martin (31 December 2008). "Honours List: Cancer researcher lifted lid on healthcare faults". The New Zealand Herald.
- Hancock, Farah (2019). "NZ's deadly public health battle". Newsroom, 16 April 2019.
- "Sir David Skegg: national leadership on public health needed." RNZ, 6 March 2019.
- Lambert, Max (1991). Who's Who in New Zealand (12th ed.). Reed, Auckland. p. 583. ISBN 0-7900-01306.
|Professional and academic associations|
| President of the Royal Society of New Zealand