|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Minnesota's 3rd district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Erik Paulsen|
|Born||January 20, 1969|
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.
|Education||Brown University (AB)|
University of Minnesota (MBA)
Dean Benson Phillips (born January 20, 1969) is an American businessman and politician from the state of Minnesota. A Democrat, he is the member of the US House of Representatives from Minnesota's 3rd congressional district, having defeated Republican incumbent Erik Paulsen in the 2018 midterm elections. The district serves most of the western suburbs of the Twin Cities, such as Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Edina, Minnetonka, Maple Grove, Plymouth and Wayzata.
Early life, education, and career
Phillips was born to DeeDee (Cohen) and Artie Pfefer in 1969. Artie was killed in the Vietnam War when Dean was six months old. DeeDee later married Eddie Phillips, heir to the Phillips Distilling Company and son of Pauline Phillips.
Phillips graduated from Brown University in 1991 and is a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity. He worked for bicycle equipment and apparel company InMotion for two years, then joined the family company. He completed his Master of Business Administration from the University of Minnesota in 2000, and was named president of Phillips Distilling. He lives in Deephaven, west of Minneapolis.
U.S. House of Representatives
In the 2018 elections, Phillips ran for the United States House of Representatives in Minnesota's 3rd congressional district. In the Democratic primary Phillips ran against former sales associate Cole Young, and received 81.6% of the vote. Phillips won all 3 counties in the district.
According to the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University, Phillips held a Bipartisan Index Score of 1.1 in the 116th United States Congress for 2019, which placed him 27th out of 435 members. Based on FiveThirtyEight's congressional vote tracker at ABC News, Phillips voted with Donald Trump's stated public policy positions 5.5% of the time, which ranked him average in the 116th United States Congress when predictive scoring (district partisanship and voting record) is used.
- Committee on Financial Services
- Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Committee on Ethics
|Democratic (DFL)||Dean Phillips||56,697||81.6|
|Democratic (DFL)||Cole Young||12,784||18.4|
|Democratic (DFL)||Dean Phillips||202,402||55.6|
|Republican||Erik Paulsen (incumbent)||160,839||44.2|
|Democratic (DFL) gain from Republican|
|Democratic (DFL)||Dean Phillips (incumbent)||73,011||90.7|
|Democratic (DFL)||Cole Young||7,443||9.3|
- "PAGE BY PAGE REPORT DISPLAY FOR 12951451573 (Page 196 of 371)". Docquery.fec.gov. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Candidate Conversation - Dean Phillips (DFL) - News & Analysis - Inside Elections". Insideelections.com. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "MN-03: Dean Phillips (D)". November 6, 2018. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Erica Rivera (January 24, 2018). "Can charming liquor heir Dean Phillips beat Erik Paulsen, Minnesota's corporate congressman?". City Pages. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Democrat Phillips defeats incumbent Paulsen in Minnesota's Third District". StarTribune.com. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Minnesota Primary Election Results: Third House District". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "MN Election Results". Electionresults.sos.state.mn.us. Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "The Lugar Center - McCourt School Bipartisan Index House Scores 116th Congress First Session (2019)" (PDF). Georgetown University. Retrieved May 20, 2020.
- "Tracking Congress In The Age Of Trump - Dean Phillips". ABC News. Retrieved May 20, 2020.
- "Tracking Congress In The Age Of Trump". ABC News. Retrieved May 20, 2020.
- "Unofficial Results Tuesday, August 11, 2020". Minnesota Secretary of State. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- "Dean Phillips & The Road To November 2018". Tcjewfolk.com. May 30, 2017. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Dear Abby asked Dean Phillips for advice". July 25, 2018. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Alberta, Tim. "The Democrats' Dilemma". Politi.co. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dean Phillips.|
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at the Library of Congress
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Minnesota's 3rd congressional district
|U.S. order of precedence (ceremonial)|
| United States Representatives by seniority
|116th||Senate: A. Klobuchar • T. Smith||House: C. Peterson • B. McCollum • T. Emmer • A. Craig • J. Hagedorn • I. Omar • D. Phillips • P. Stauber|