Death of Brian Sinclair
Brian Sinclair (1963 – 2008) was age 45 when he died September 21, 2008 while waiting for medical attention in Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre. Brian was a double amputee in a wheelchair and had been brought to the center for a blocked catheter. Sinclair arrived in a taxi van at the emergency department just before 3 p.m. September 19, 2008. A video of his arrival is on YouTube. He was dead for two to seven hours before someone in authority noticed and it is estimated he waited thirty-four hours. Security officer Gary Francis found Brian Sinclair dead.
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority released a statement on the death written by Arlene Wilgosh, stating "The inquest started on August 6, 2013, heard from many different witnesses and experts, and concluded on June 13, 2014 following a total 40 hearing days in which 82 witnesses provided testimony. As I have said previously, Mr. Sinclair’s death was preventable. He came to us seeking care, and we failed him."
- Adele Perry, Mary Jane Logan McCallum: Structures of Indifference: An Indigenous Life and Death in a Canadian City. University of Manitoba Press, 2018 (Structures of Indifference completes the story left untold by the inquiry into Sinclair’s death, the 2014 report of which omitted any consideration of underlying factors, including racism and systemic discrimination.)
- "Ignored to death: Brian Sinclair's death caused by racism, inquest inadequate, group says" CBC news. September 17, 2017
- Lett, D (2013). "Emergency department problems raised at Sinclair inquest". CMAJ. 185: 1483. doi:10.1503/cmaj.109-4633. PMC 3832555. PMID 24144603.
- "Death after 34-hour ER wait was preventable: judge" CTV news. December 12, 2014.
- Brian Sinclair Archive of multiple articles at Macleans
- "ER staff didn't believe Brian Sinclair was dead, even when other patients told them" Winnipeg Sun. August 28, 2013.
- "Nurse thought Brian Sinclair was intoxicated, inquest told" CBC news. October 2013
- "Brian Sinclair's condition didn't seem urgent, inquest told" CBC news. January 2014.
- "Brian Sinclair ignored by Winnipeg ER: report" CBC news. September 05, 2013
- "‘Unfair’ to discipline staff for Winnipeg man’s death during ER wait" Author Chinta Puxley. Publisher The Canadian Press. September 13, 2013