Democratic Party (Puerto Rico)
|National affiliation||Democratic Party|
The Puerto Rico Democratic Party is the local branch of the Democratic Party in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Party membership consists of supporters of both the current Commonwealth status and those who favor statehood for Puerto Rico.
Participation in Puerto Rico's delegate selection process is open those who wish to participate as Democrats and participants may not take part in any other party's Presidential Nominating process. Individuals who wish to participate in the Senate District Caucuses must register with the State Party's local committee.
Sixty of 67 delegates to the Democratic National Convention are pledged to presidential contenders based on the results of local committee Senate District Caucuses. A mandatory 15 percent threshold is required in order for a presidential contender to be pledged National Convention delegates at either the senatorial district or islandwide level.
- District 1 San Juan: 4
- District 2 Bayamón: 5
- District 3 Arecibo: 4
- District 4 Mayagüez: 4
- District 5 Ponce: 4
- District 6 Guayama: 4
- District 7 Humacao: 4
- District 8 Carolina: 4
In addition, 13 at-large and 7 Pledged Party Leaders and Elected Officials (PLEOs) delegates are pledged to presidential contenders based on the presidential preferences of the 40 district level delegates as pledged by the Senate District Caucuses. Hence, the National Convention District delegates are pledged from the preferences expressed at the Caucuses while the National Convention statewide delegates are pledged using the preferences of the National Convention District delegates.
The Young Democrats of America (YDA), Puerto Rico Chapter, is the official youth branch of the Puerto Rico Democratic Party. It is currently presided by Ricardo Alfaro who also serves as Deputy Communications Director - Technology as part of the Young Democrats of America national leadership.
Previous presidents include Francisco Domenech who was also Democratic National Committeeman for the Young Democrats of America, the first Puerto Rican elected to this position, and Phillip Arroyo who along with Francisco Domenech helped create and chair the Hispanic Caucus of YDA.
- Local Puerto Rico Committee of the United States Republican Party
- United States National Democratic Party
- "Our Democrats". PR Dems. Retrieved September 28, 2019.
- Democrats in your state: Puerto Rico. Archived 2012-05-20 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- The Green Papers: 2012 Presidential Primaries, Caucuses, and Conventions. Richard E. Berg-Andersson. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "RICARDO F. ALFARO RAMOS, PRESIDENT OF THE YOUNG DEMOCRATS OF AMERICA, PUERTO RICO CHAPTER" Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine Young Democrats of America. Southeast Region. Retrieved July 12, 2014