Diogo Leite (footballer, born 1999)
Leite training with Porto in 2018
|Full name||Diogo Filipe Monteiro Pinto Leite|
|Date of birth||23 January 1999|
|Place of birth||Porto, Portugal|
|Height||1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Playing position(s)||Centre back|
|2014–2015||→ Padroense (loan)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 30 October 2020|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18 November 2020
Born in Porto, Leite joined FC Porto's youth academy at the age of 9. He made his professional debut with the reserve team on 27 August 2017, playing the entire 1–0 home win against C.D. Santa Clara for the LigaPro.
In late July 2018, due to several injuries to the back sector, first-team manager Sérgio Conceição called Leite for the upcoming Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira match against C.D. Aves. He partnered Felipe in that match, a 3–1 victory in Aveiro; shortly before that event, he had renewed his contract until 2023.
Leite's maiden appearance in the Primeira Liga took place on 11 August 2018 in the season opener, and he again played the entire 5–0 home defeat of G.D. Chaves. He scored his first goal in the competition the following weekend, helping to a 3–2 success at Belenenses SAD; shortly after, however, he returned to the reserves.
Leite won his first cap for Portugal at under-21 level at the age of only 19, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 3–2 friendly win over Italy. He was later used as a starter by coach Rui Jorge in both legs of the 2019 UEFA European Championship play-offs, lost to Poland 3–1 on aggregate.
- As of match played 1 August 2020
- UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2016
- Primeira Liga Defender of the Month: August 2018
- "Diogo Leite" (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "FC Porto renova com jovem promessa Diogo Leite" [FC Porto renew with young prospect Diogo Leite] (in Portuguese). Rádio Renascença. 30 July 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "FC Porto B-Santa Clara, 1–0: Dragões tiram invencibilidade aos açorianos" [FC Porto B-Santa Clara, 1–0: Azoreans no longer undefeated courtesy of dragons]. Record (in Portuguese). 27 August 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Defesa continua a ser dor de cabeça para Sérgio Conceição. Diogo Leite é opção para a Supertaça" [Defence is still an headache for Sérgio Conceição. Diogo Leite is an option for the Supercup] (in Portuguese). SAPO. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- Pires, Sérgio (3 August 2018). "«Diogo Leite tem uma década de FC Porto: sabe o que é a exigência»" [«Diogo Leite has one decade of FC Porto: he knows what expectation is»] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "FC Porto conquista Supertaça pela 21.ª vez" [FC Porto conquer Supercup for the 21st time] (in Portuguese). Rádio e Televisão de Portugal. 4 August 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Andrade, David (11 August 2018). "FC Porto começa defesa do título com uma goleada" [FC Porto start title defence with routing]. Público (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- Pires, Bruno (19 August 2018). "Fantasma do Jamor ainda assustou Conceição" [Ghost of the Jamor still scared Conceição]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- Casaca, Manuel (10 February 2019). "Lesionados ao serviço da equipa B do FC Porto e em dúvida para Roma" [Injured while playing for B-team of FC Porto and in doubt for Roma]. O Jogo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Seleção sub-21 de Portugal vence Itália em amigável disputado no Estoril" [Under-21 Portuguese national team beat Italy in friendly held in Estoril] (in Portuguese). SAPO. 25 May 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Portugal em vantagem sobre a Polónia no "play-off"" [Portugal ahead of Poland in play-off] (in Portuguese). UEFA. 16 November 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Golo de Diogo Jota insuficiente e Seleção falha apuramento para Europeu de Sub-21" [Diogo Jota goal not enough and national team miss out on qualification for Under-21 Euro]. Record (in Portuguese). 20 November 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- Diogo Leite at Soccerway
- "Títulos é com eles. FC Porto B revalida Premier League International Cup" [Titles are their business. FC Porto B renew Premier League International Cup supremacy] (in Portuguese). Rádio Renascença. 8 May 2018. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Portugal prevail on penalties against Spain". UEFA. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "[Under-17] The UEFA technical team – Team of the Tournament". UEFA. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "CD Feirense e SL Benfica dominam prémios do mês de agosto" [CD Feirense and SL Benfica dominate awards for the month of August] (in Portuguese). Liga Portuguesa de Futebol Profissional. 17 September 2018. Retrieved 10 January 2019.