Dismal Swamp (New Jersey)
|Location||Middlesex County, New Jersey|
|Area||650 acres (3 km2)|
The Dismal Swamp is a wetland ecosystem located in an urban environment. The swamp covers nearly 650 acres (3 km2) with 12 acres (0 km2) located in Metuchen with the remaining portion in Edison and South Plainfield. The swamp contains a number of wildlife species, including the endangered loggerhead shrike. There are an estimated 165 different species of birds in the swamp.
The Triple C Ranch, located within Dismal Swamp, is headquarters to the Edison Wetlands Association. Located in the middle of the Swamp, and adjacent to 275 acres (1 km2) of land owned by Edison Township, the 5.27 acres (0 km2) ranch is one of the few remaining working farms in northern Middlesex Country.
- David Wheeler (Dec 31, 2010). "A year in New Jersey's Dismal Swamp". NewJerseyNewsroom.com. Archived from the original on 2011-01-03. Retrieved Nov 15, 2011.
- "Dismal Swamp". Metuchen. Archived from the original on 2011-08-08. Retrieved Nov 15, 2011.
- Arline Zatz. Metuchen's Dismal Swamp Brochure. Metuchen.
- Jana Siciliano (November 24, 2008). "Dismal Swamp Redux: How to Get There, What to Do There". Metuchen. Retrieved Nov 15, 2011.
- ENID WEISS (August 2009). "Plans for Greenway extension in the works". Middlesex Sentinel. Archived from the original on 2013-01-24. Retrieved Nov 15, 2011.
|This article related to a protected area in New Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Middlesex County, New Jersey state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|