Doherty Memorial High School
|Doherty Memorial High School|
|School district||Worcester Public Schools|
|Faculty||101.35 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.38|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gold|
|Nickname||Home of the Highlanders|
Doherty Memorial High School is a public high school located in Worcester, Massachusetts, United States. It opened its doors in the fall of 1966, replacing two closing schools: Worcester Classical High School and Worcester Commerce High School.
The school has about 2,000 students, in grades 9 to 12, in the Worcester Public Schools district. The school's principal is Sally Mahoney. The school serves the west side (Pleasant & Chandler Street, Tatnuck Square, Salisbury Street, Forest Grove, Newton Square, and June, Mill, Pleasant, and May Streets neighborhoods) of Worcester.
Doherty Memorial High School has varsity teams in math and these sports: track, volleyball, baseball, lacrosse, football, cross country, soccer, field hockey, basketball, cheerleading, tennis, and FIRST Robotics.
- Donnie Demers, songwriter, musician
- Jimmy Demers, singer, songwriter
- Ned Eames (1978), former professional tennis player
- Jeffrey Greene, real estate developer
- Mary Beth Leonard (1980), U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria
- Keith Reed (1996), former MLB player (Baltimore Orioles)
- Edwin Rodríguez, boxer
- Sam Seder (1984), comedian, writer, actor, film director, television producer-director, and talk radio host
- Yawin Smallwood (2010), NFL player (2014 Tennessee Titans practice squad)
- Doug Stanhope (did not graduate), comedian
- Isaac Yiadom (2014), NFL player for the Denver Broncos
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-04-10. Retrieved 2017-04-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Doherty High School". Worcester Public Schools. Archived from the original on 26 December 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- Doherty Memorial High
- Kotsopoulos, Nick (March 16, 2019). "Politics and the City: Geography problem for new Doherty High". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved March 22, 2019.
- Sacks, Pamela H. (May 18, 2007). "Serve & volley". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- Kitchens, Susan (September 20, 2008). "The Reluctant Billionaire". Forbes. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Cohan, Peter (April 23, 2017). "Wall & Main: Multibillionaire Jeff Greene, Worcester native, sees economic trouble ahead". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Cristantiello, Ross (August 3, 2016). "Doherty High alumna Mary Beth Leonard gets new diplomatic post". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Nugent, Karen. "Doherty grad plays role for US in Africa." Telegram & Gazette, Mar 21 2011.
- Murray, Thomas V. (November 10, 2014). "United States Ambassador to Visit Worcester Public Schools" (Press release). Worcester Educational Development Foundation.
- Telegram & Gazette Staff (March 31, 2014). "Hometeam: Worcester Public Schools inducts 11 into Hall of Fame". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Barth, Bud (April 23, 2006). "Rodriguez has redemption on his mind". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Duckett, Richard. "Worcester natives' film gathering steam." Telegram & Gazette, Apr 22 2004.
- "08.07 From Worcester to Hollywood". Thepulsemag.com. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Garven, Rich (April 25, 2018). "NFL Draft: Former Doherty High and Boston College star Isaac Yiadom awaits where he'll be selected". Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
|This Massachusetts school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|