Sir Don Beaven
Donald Ward Beaven
31 August 1924
Christchurch, New Zealand
|Died||4 November 2009 (aged 85)|
|Education||University of Otago|
Harvard Medical School
|Institutions||University of Otago Christchurch School of Medicine|
He commenced full-time teaching and research at the Christchurch School of Medicine in 1960, and was appointed Foundation Professor in 1971. The Beaven Lecture Theatre in the School bears his name.
Beaven was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1989 New Year Honours, for services to medicine and the community, and a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the 2005 New Year Honours, for services to persons with diabetes. He accepted re-designation as a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in August 2009 after the restoration of titular honours by the New Zealand government. In March 2009, Beaven was commemorated as one of the Twelve Local Heroes, and a bronze bust of him was unveiled outside the Christchurch Arts Centre. In 1990, he was awarded the New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal.
Beaven died fighting a house fire in his bach at Little Akaloa on Banks Peninsula. A memorial service for Beaven held in the Christchurch Town Hall on 19 December 2009 was attended by nearly 1000 people. At the memorial, the chair of the Health Research Council of New Zealand announced that the Emeritus Professor Sir Donald Ward Beaven Medal for Diabetes Research would be presented to the New Zealand researcher who makes the greatest contribution to diabetes research each year.
- Crean, Mike (7 November 2009). "A life most notable (Obituary)". The Press. Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Home, Elizabeth (June 2004). "A Canterbury Tale: This is your life, Don Beaven" (PDF). Diabetes Voice. 49 (2): 42–44. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 April 2015.
- "University of Otago, Christchurch - History". University of Otago, Christchurch. Archived from the original on 3 May 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "Sir Don Beaven". University of Canterbury. Archived from the original on 14 October 2008. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "No. 51580". The London Gazette (3rd supplement). 31 December 1988. p. 33.
- "New Year honours list 2005". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 31 December 2004. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Special honours list 1 August 2009". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Whyte, Mark (2009). Twelve Local Heroes: a celebration: set of bronze busts commissioned by the Local Heroes Trust. Christchurch: Christchurch Art Gallery / Te Puna o Waiwhetu. ISBN 978-0-473-14878-2.
- Taylor, Alister; Coddington, Deborah (1994). Honoured by the Queen – New Zealand. Auckland: New Zealand Who's Who Aotearoa. p. 61. ISBN 0-908578-34-2.
- Steward, Ian (5 November 2009). "Sir Don Beaven feared dead after house fire". The Press. Christchurch, New Zealand. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "Renowned professor feared dead in fire". The New Zealand Herald. Auckland, New Zealand. 5 November 2009. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "Renowned medical professor feared dead after Chch fire". The New Zealand Herald. New Zealand. 5 November 2009. Archived from the original on 7 November 2009. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- Crean, Mike (19 December 2009). "Medal to honour work of diabetes expert". The Press. Christchurch, New Zealand. Archived from the original on 19 December 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Don Beaven.|