Edward VII Monument (Montreal)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Monument à Édouard VII|
|Height||14 metres (46 ft)|
|Opening date||October 1, 1914|
|Dedicated to||Edward VII|
Designed by Louis-Philippe Hébert, the monument to King Edward VII was in 1914 erected in Phillips Square, in front of Morgan's department store. The statue was unveiled on October 1, 1914, by Edward's brother, Governor General Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, with a huge crowd in attendance. Edward had visited Montreal in 1860, when he was the Prince of Wales, to open the Victoria Bridge.
Four allegorical figures sit at the base of the monument: Peace is the woman at front, holding an olive branch but keeping a sword hidden in the folds of her skirt. The western group is Four Nations, representing Montreal’s four founding nationalities—French, Scots, Irish, and English—living together in harmony. At the back of the monument, Winged Genius represents liberty; the angel has broken the shackles of religious prejudice and persecution and is intended as a reminder of the King's extended respect and dignity to all his subjects, regardless of race, colour, or creed. Abundance is on the eastern face, representing Canada's material prosperity.
- "Monument à Édouard VII". Art Public Montréal. Retrieved 9 December 2020.