This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Progressive Daily Newspaper|
|Founded||19 September 2005|
|Political alignment||Aligned with Spanish Socialist Workers' Party|
|Headquarters||Gran Vía, 64 Madrid Spain|
elplural.com is a spanish language news site which has been publishing since 19 September 2005. It defines itself as a combination of information with opinion which tries to offer its readers general interest news.
elplural.com was born as a project by the Catalan journalist Enric Sopena, whose previous experience came from audiovisual or written media such as La Vanguardia and TVE. Despite its geographical origin in Catalonia, El Plural deals with national and international topics, and over time a fixed section has focused on Andalusia, together with other regional sections. From 2010, Enric Sopena became a shareholder of the newspaper's publishing company. Until then the ownership of this medium was in the hands of a company linked to Lavinia TV.
On 22 March 2017, the General Shareholders' Meeting of elplural.com accepted the retirement request of Enric Sopena as director of the newspaper, becoming 'President 'Emeritus', writing an opinion column titled 'Cabos Sueltos'.
The newspaper has sections on Politics, Economic, Communications and Society. In addition, elplural.com has an Autonomous communities' section, focused on Catalonia, the Balearic Islands and Andalusia. The latter, since 26 September 2016, is formed by the integration of the Andaluces Diario newspaper, led by the journalist Antonio Avendaño, who joined from Público.
The Opinion section is composed of conventional articles and analysis, as well as cartoons from the series "Los Calvitos", by humorist Patricio Rocco, aka Pat.
Apart from the usual sections, the newspaper includes various magazines, such as El Telescopio - dedicated to Technology and Innovation -, La Pimienta de la Vida - focused on gastronomy and lifestyle - Motor - automotive sector associated with the Autofácil publication -, Playtime - leisure and culture and Fuera de Foco, a miscellaneous section about social media, curiosities and humorous news..
El Plural defines itself as a progressive daily. It has had connections with PSC-PSOE. It is aligned social-democratically. In 2011, journalist Carlos Carnicero lost his job at the publication following repeated criticism of former Prime Minister Zapatero's PSOE government.
- "Sopena deja la dirección de "El Plural" en manos de una habitual de La Sexta" [Sopena leaves the address of "El Plural" in the hands of a regular from La Sexta]. EsDiario.com (in Spanish). 23 March 2017. Archived from the original on 24 March 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Nace un nuevo diario digital, Elplural.com, dirigido por el periodista Enric Sopena" [A new digital newspaper is born, Elplural.com, directed by the journalist Enric Sopena]. elperiodicoextremadura.com (in Spanish). 19 September 2005. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- Mosteiro, Higinio (16 November 2009). "El Plural de Enric Sopena es propiedad del Grupo Lavinia" [Enric Sopena's El Plural is owned by the Lavinia Group]. PeriodistaDigital.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 18 November 2009. Retrieved 4 September 2009.
- Verbo, Eduardo (3 September 2010). "Enric Sopena se compra elplural.com" [Enric Sopena buys ElPlural.com]. El Confidencial (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 20 April 2017. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- Moreno, Marisu (22 March 2017). "Angélica Rubio sustituye a Enric Sopena en la dirección de ELPLURAL.COM" [Angélica Rubio replaces Enric Sopena as manager of elplural.com]. El Plural (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 3 September 2018.
- "El Plural acusa la caída en el negocio y pierde 100.000 euros" [El Plural announces fall in business and loses 100,000 euros]. DirComfidencial.com (in Spanish). 22 August 2017. Archived from the original on 4 September 2018. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Gil, Sara (23 September 2016). "ELPLURAL.COM refuerza su expansión territorial con el 'fichaje' de Andalucesdiario.es" [ELPLURAL.COM reinforces its territorial expansion with the 'signing' of Andalucesdiario.es]. El Plural (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 4 September 2018. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Balcarce, Luis (16 March 2011). "El 'censor' Enric Sopena fulmina a Carlos Carnicero de El Plural.com" [The 'censor' Enric Sopena fires Carlos Carnicero of El Plural.com]. PeriodistaDigital.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 17 March 2011. Retrieved 2 January 2019.