Empire Professional Baseball League
|No. of teams||6|
The Empire Professional Baseball League (EPBL) is an independent baseball league that began play in 2016. The Empire League plays a 70-game regular season followed by a five-game post season. The six-team league consists of three teams from Upstate New York, one from Puerto Rico, one from New Hampshire, and one from Georgia. League offices are in Tampa, Florida.
The Empire League is a replacement of the North Country Baseball League, which folded after one season (and was itself a last-minute replacement for the East Coast Baseball League, which disbanded before the start of the 2015 season). The league fielded four teams based in the states of New York, New Hampshire and Maine for its inaugural season.
It is a low-budget league meant to give players recently graduated from college or with little professional experience an opportunity at staying in shape and providing them the chance at being signed to higher level league contracts with affiliated or independent teams. All league funding comes from advertisement sales, ticket sales and tryout revenue.
Prior to the league's second season, the Watertown Bucks lost the lease to their stadium and were replaced by the Plattsburgh Redbirds. The New Hampshire Wild ceased operations and were replaced by a team from Puerto Rico; however, since a stadium deal in Puerto Rico had not yet been finalized, the team played the 2017 season as a travel team.
The league expanded to six teams for the 2018 season with two new franchises selected from four of the nine interested parties visited in 2017. On February 23, 2018, the league announced that one team will be a revival of the New Hampshire Wild, and the sixth team would be the return of the New York Bucks, formerly known as the Watertown Bucks.
On May 31, 2018, the league announced the Puerto Rico Islanders will play in Rincon, Puerto Rico, and the Sullivan Explorers would be known as the Aguada Explorers. For 2019, the Explorers would become a traveling team, and the Surge would move to Saranac Lake, New York.
Due to Covid-19, the 2020 Empire Professional Baseball League was held at Consol Energy Park in Washington, Pennsylvania.
|Georgia Rhinos||2020||Conyers, Georgia||Henson Carr Legion Field|
|New Hampshire Wild||2016||Concord, New Hampshire||Memorial Field|
|Plattsburgh Thunderbirds||2017||Plattsburgh, New York||Chip Cummings Field|
|Puerto Rico Islanders||2017||Aguada, Puerto Rico||Estadio Guillermo Hernández|
|Saranac Lake Surge||2016||Saranac Lake, New York||Saranac Lake Central Field|
|Tupper Lake Riverpigs||2020||Tupper Lake, New York||Municipal Park|
|2016||Sullivan Explorers||Watertown Bucks||2–0 (best-of 3)|
|2017||Plattsburgh Redbirds||Old Orchard Beach Surge||3–1 (best-of 5)|
|2018||Puerto Rico Islanders||New York Bucks||2–1 (best-of 3)|
|2019||Plattsburgh Thunderbirds||New Hampshire Wild||2–0 (best-of 3)|
|2020||Baseball Brilliance Sox||Saranac Lake Surge||1–0 (single game final)|
- "Are We in for Another Summer of New Indy Leagues?". Indy Ball Island. December 15, 2015.
- "North Country Baseball League folds". Indy Ball Island. November 23, 2015.
- "City Council to consider agreement with Watertown Bucks for 2016". Watertown Daily Times. January 30, 2016.
- "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONSSSSS!!!!! – Explorers Baseball". Sullivan Explorers. August 11, 2016.
- "Weekly Sports League & Franchise Report". OurSports Central. November 7, 2016.
- Empire Media (August 25, 2017). "Empire League Set to Expand to 6 Teams Next Season". empireproleague.com. Empire Professional Baseball League. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- "Wild to play its games in New Hampshire". Empire Professional Baseball League. February 23, 2018. Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- "Empire Announces All Team Locations For 2018". Empire Professional Baseball League. April 12, 2018. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- St. Clair, Ricky (June 13, 2018). "RedBirds prepped for second EPBL season". Press-Republican. Plattsburgh, New York. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
The Bucks, who were originally slated to play their home games at the Sports at the Beach complex in Georgetown, Delaware, will call SUNY Canton home.
- Empire Media (May 31, 2018). "EMPIRE LEAGUE TO PLAY IN PUERTO RICO THIS SEASON". empireproleague.com. Empire Professional Baseball League. Retrieved June 2, 2018.
- "2020 SCHEDULE – Welcome to the Empire Baseball League". Retrieved August 30, 2020.