Epiphany term is the second academic term at Durham University, falling between Michaelmas term and Easter term, as in the Christian Feast of the Epiphany, held in January. The term runs from January until March, equivalent to the Spring term at many British universities, Hilary term at Dublin and Oxford, and Lent term at Cambridge, Canterbury Christ Church, Lancaster, Liverpool, LSE and Swansea.
Historically, the name has been in use at Durham since the university's opening in 1833, and was also used at Newcastle University (formerly King's College of Durham University) until 2004. It was also used at Durham's overseas affiliated colleges: Codrington College, Barbados, and Fourah Bay College, Sierra Leone, and is used (as of July 2018) by Sierra Leone Law School.
In the United States, the name was in use in the late 19th century at Hobart College, NY, and for a period after 1913 at Sewanee: the University of the South. The name remains in use (interchangeably with "Spring term") at the General Theological Seminary, NY.
- Michaelmas term
- Hilary term (equivalent term at Dublin and Oxford)
- Lent term (equivalent term at Cambridge, Canterbury Christ Church, Lancaster, Liverpool, LSE and Swansea)
- Easter term
- Epiphany season (liturgical season in the Church of England)
- "University Term Times and Vacations". postgrad.com. Postgrad Solutions. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Dates of meetings and events". Durham University. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- J T Fowler (1904). Appendix VI: 'First calendar' (now so called) of the university, 1833. Durham University: earlier foundations and present colleges. p. 244.
- "University terms to be renamed?". Newcastle University. 25 February 2004. Archived from the original on 22 March 2007.
- Barbados and the Windwards. Mission Field: A Monthly Record of the Proceedings of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. 23. Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. 1878. p. 490.
- "In Sierra Leone Fourah Bay College Turns 190". Sierra Express Media. 18 February 2017.
The academic year then was divided into three terms beginning with the Michaelmas, Easter and Epiphany terms quite different from what prevails today; College sessions today are divided into two sessions – First and Second semesters. As a Durham University College overseas the names of the three terms reflected the Durham system of nomenclature.
- "Current Calendar". Sierra Leone Law School. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- Hobart College, Geneva, Ontario County. Documents of the Assembly of the State of New York. 5. New York (State). Legislature. Assembly. 1878.
- W. Brown Patterson. The Liberal Arts at Sewanee. p. 44.
- Catalogue and Announcements. University of the South. 1920. p. 6.
- "General Theological Seminary Catalog Academic Year 2017-2018" (PDF). General Theological Seminary. Retrieved 29 July 2018.