Eric S. Rosengren
|13th President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston|
|Assumed office |
July 23, 2007
|Preceded by||Cathy Minehan|
|Born||June 3, 1957|
Ridgewood, New Jersey, U.S.
|Education||Colby College (BA)|
University of Wisconsin, Madison (MSc, PhD)
Eric S. Rosengren (born June 3, 1957) took office on July 23, 2007, as the thirteenth president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, serving the First District. In 2007, he was a voting member of the Federal Open Market Committee.
Early life and education
Rosengren was born in Ridgewood, New Jersey, the grandson of a Swedish immigrant. He graduated summa cum laude from Colby College with a B.A. and highest honors in economics. He then spent one year in Australia as a Thomas Watson Fellow. Following his year in Australia, he went to the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where he earned an M.S. in economics in 1984 and a Ph.D. in economics in 1986.
Rosengren has held senior positions within the Federal Reserve in both the research and bank supervision functions. He joined the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston in 1985 as an economist in the Research Department. He was promoted to Assistant Vice President in 1989 and to Vice President in 1991 as head of the Banking and Monetary Policy section of the Research Department. In 2000, he was named Senior Vice President and head of the Supervision and Regulation Department. He assumed the additional title of Chief Discount Officer in 2003, and in 2005, he was named Executive Vice President. While in the bank supervision function, he obtained significant domestic and international regulatory experience related to the Basel II Capital Accord.
In his work as an economist, Rosengren has made the link between financial problems and the real economy a focus of his research, and he has published extensively on macroeconomics, international banking, bank supervision, and risk management. He has been an author on over 100 articles and papers on economics and finance, including articles in many of the top economics and finance journals.
- "The view from the Boston Fed". Boston.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2007-08-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Federal Reserve Board - Federal Reserve Bank of Boston".
- "Federal Reserve Board - Eric Rosengren named president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston".
- Sharon Patch: "Sharon Residents Named To Colby College Dean's List" Archived 2012-07-30 at Archive.today February 29, 2012
- Boston Globe: "Boston Fed taps insider to replace Minehan" By Keith Reed June 15, 2007
- Boston Fed biography
- Federal Reserve Bank biography
- Biography at the Federal Reserve System Web site.
- "Eric S. Rosengren". EconPapers.
| President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston