Finswimming in the United Kingdom
British Finswimming Association
The BFA is considered by proponents of finswimming being as the National Governing Body for Finswimming in the United Kingdom. However, as of November 2013, the British government recognises the British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) as being the National Governing Body responsible for this sport.
The BFA was formed in 1999 following the creation of the British Underwater Sports Association in 1998 as a body to represent British underwater sports to the Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques (CMAS) following the expulsion of the BSAC as the CMAS affiliate for the UK. BFA’s membership of the BUSA entitles it to compete in international competitions conducted under the auspices of CMAS. The BFA is club-based organisation managed on a day-to-day basis by an executive committee. Its services include the provision of public liability insurance and access to a coaching program.
As of April 2017, competition at a regional level within the UK is offered by the following clubs:
- ASKA Club (Chester)
- FinWorld Finswimming Club (London)
- Hampshire Spitfires (Hampshire)
- Neptune Finswimming Club (Bristol)
- Northern Lights Finswimming Club (Newcastle and North Tyneside)
- LondonFin Swimming and Finswimming Club (London)
Regional competition is offered by the BFA club system.
There is an annual National Short Course (25 m pool) Finswimming Championships in the United Kingdom, which are traditionally held at the Edenbridge Leisure Centre, Edenbridge, Kent in November. As of 2007, the annual National Long Course (50 m pool) Finswimming Championships have been held; the first being held in Aldershot, Hampshire.
British finswimmers compete at international level including events offered within Europe at both national and continental level, and events offered within the sporting framework associated with the Commonwealth of Nations.
- "About (the British Finswimming Association)". British Finswimming Association. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Sporting Activities and Governing Bodies Recognised by the Sports Councils (MASTER LIST – updated on 4 June 2013)" (PDF). Sport UK. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the British Octopush Association held on 25 April 1999 at the Queens Hotel, Crystal Palace, LONDON". British Octopush Association. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "About (British Finswimming Association )". British Finswimming Association. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Membership". British Finswimming Association. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Clubs". Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "ASKA Club". ASKA.
- "Finswimming". FinWorld Finswimming Club. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Hampshire Spitfires Training Sessions". British Finswimming Association. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Finswimming sessions & About us". Neptune Finswimming Club. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Home (Northern Lights Finswimming Club)". Northern Lights Finswimming Club. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "londonfin". londonfin. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Dutch Open Finswimming Championships 2011". Invicta Finswimming Club. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Congratulations to Cassandra! (FOG Hoppers Finswimming)". Five Oak Green Hoppers Sports Club. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- British Finswimming Association homepage
- Information resource about finswimming in the UK
- Cassandra at the "BFA Short Course and Student National Championship” 2011
- Finswimming Gala in Bristol, 7/12/2013
|This diving-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|