Football at the 2019 Pan American Games – Men's tournament
|Football – Men's tournament at the XVIII Pan American Games|
|Venue||Estadio Universidad San Marcos|
|Dates||29 July – 10 August 2019|
|Football at the|
2019 Pan American Games
A total of eight men's teams qualified to compete at the games, four CONMEBOL teams and four CONCACAF teams. For CONMEBOL, the best three teams at the 2019 South American U-20 Championship qualified, while Peru automatically qualified as hosts. For CONCACAF, the best team from each of the three zones (North American, Central American and Caribbean) at the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship qualified, however, United States (best North American team) declined to participate and were replaced by Mexico. Honduras also qualified by decision of CONCACAF.
|Confederation||Region||Means of qualification||Teams qualified||Appearance||Previous best performance|
|CONCACAF||North American||2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship
(1–21 November 2018)
|Mexico||15th||Gold medal (1967, 1975, 1999, 2011)|
|Caribbean||Jamaica||5th||Silver medal (2007)|
|Central American||Panama||2nd||Fourth place (2015)|
|Last berth defined by CONCACAF||Honduras||5th||Silver medal (1999)|
|CONMEBOL||South American||Automatically qualified||Peru (hosts)||2nd||Group stage (2015)|
|2019 South American U-20 Championship
(17 January–10 February 2019)
|Argentina||15th||Gold medal (1951, 1955, 1959, 1971, 1995, 2003)|
|Uruguay||7th||Gold medal (1983, 2015)|
|Ecuador||4th||Gold medal (2007)|
The draw of the tournament was held on 12 April 2019, 12:00 PET (UTC−5), at the Peruvian Football Federation headquarters in Lima, Peru. The eight teams were drawn into two groups of four and each group was conformed by two CONCACAF teams and two CONMEBOL teams. The hosts Peru were seeded into group B and assigned to position 4 in their group, while the remaining seven teams were placed into two pots according to the confederation which they belong.
|CONCACAF pot||CONMEBOL pot|
The CONCACAF teams were drawn first and assigned to positions 1 and 2 in groups A and B. Then, the CONMEBOL teams were drawn and the first two teams occupied positions 3 and 4 in group A while the third team occupied the position 3 in group B. The draw resulted in the following groups:
Players must be born on or after 1 January 1997, three overage players are allowed.
The referees and assistant referees were:
|3||Panama||3||0||2||1||2||4||−2||2||Fifth place match|
|4||Ecuador||3||0||1||2||3||6||−3||1||Seventh place match|
|Zúñiga 27'||Report||Campana 53'|
|Venegas 13' (pen.)
Godínez 81' (pen.)
|Aguilar 45'||Report||Gaich 4'
|3||Jamaica||3||1||0||2||3||5||−2||3||Fifth place match|
|4||Peru (H)||3||0||1||2||2||6||−4||1||Seventh place match|
|Report||Fernández 61', 72'|
|Arriaga 34' (o.g.)
Ramírez 75' (pen.)
|Beckford 55', 60'||Report|
Placement stage (5th–8th place)
Seventh place match
|Vivar 88'||Report||Minda 83' (o.g.)|
Fifth place match
|Semi-finals||Gold medal match|
|Honduras (p)||1 (4)|
|Bronze medal match|
|Venegas 40'||Report||Reyes 79'|
|Report||Gaich 6', 85'
Bronze medal match
Gold medal match
|Martínez 42'||Report||Urzi 7'
There were 50 goals scored in 18 matches, for an average of 2.78 goals per match.
1 own goal
Source: Lima 2019
- "SEVEN COUNTRIES QUALIFY FOR THE LIMA 2019 PAN AMERICAN GAMES IN MEN'S FOOTBALL". lima2019.pe. 12 February 2019.
- "Honduras competirá en fútbol en Panamericanos de Lima 2019" [Honduras will compete in football at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima] (in Spanish). Diario Más. 5 March 2019.
- "LIMA 2019 DRAWS FOOTBALL GROUPS FOR THE PAN AMERICAN GAMES". lima2019.pe. 11 April 2019. Archived from the original on 14 April 2019. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "LIMA 2019 DRAWS FOOTBALL GROUPS FOR THE PAN AMERICAN GAMES". lima2019.pe. 12 April 2019. Archived from the original on 14 April 2019. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "En vivo mira ahora el livestream del sorteo del torneo de fútbol masculino y fem". Facebook Lima 2019. 12 April 2019.
- "Football Men - Referees and Assistant referees" (PDF). Lima 2019. 29 July 2019.
- "Football Men – Competition Schedule" (PDF). COPAL Lima 2019. 28 July 2019.