This article does not cite any sources. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Fort Andres Bonifacio|
|Metro Manila, Philippines|
Main gate of the Headquarters Philippine Army
|Controlled by||Republic of the Philippines|
|Garrison||Philippine Army, Philippine Marine Corps, PN Seabees (Naval Combat Engineering Brigade), Southern Police District Headquarters|
Fort Andres Bonifacio (formerly named Fort McKinley), is the national headquarters of the Philippine Army (PA) located in Metro Manila, Philippines. It is located near the national headquarters of the Philippine Air Force (AFP). The camp is named after Andres Bonifacio, the revolutionary leader of the Katipunan during the Philippine Revolution.
Fort William McKinley
Fort William McKinley, now Fort Bonifacio, was established during the Philippine–American War in 1901. The land is situated south of the Pasig River, down to the creek Alabang, in Manila. It was declared a U.S. military reservation by U.S. Secretary of War Elihu Root, expropriating the land owned by Captain Juan Gonzales without compensation. This expropriation was later challenged by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos and the US agreed to compensate, through him, in trust deposits.
In 1916, the 3rd Battalion of the 31st Infantry Regiment was formed here. Until December 1920, this was the home of the 31st Infantry Regiment. During World War II, the USAFFE headquarters for the Philippine Department and the Philippine Division were at the fort. The bulk of the Philippine Division was stationed there and this was where, under the National Defense Act of 1935, specialized artillery training was conducted.
After Philippine independence on July 4, 1946, the US surrendered to the Republic of the Philippines all rights of possession, jurisdiction, supervision, and control over the Philippine territory except for the use of their military bases. On May 14, 1949, Fort McKinley was turned over to the Philippine government. The facility became the home of the Philippine Army and later the Philippine Navy and was renamed Fort Bonifacio. It lies in the cities of Pasay, Parañaque, Makati, and Taguig. The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial was established there. Later, portions of it were turned into a real estate development area called Bonifacio Global City.
|This United States Army article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in the Philippines is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|