Front & York
|Front & York|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||CIM Group; LIVWRK|
History and development
CIM Group, Kushner Companies, and LIVWRK purchased the site in December 2016 for $345 million. The site was one of several in Brooklyn purchased from Jehovah's Witnesses by Kushner Companies and a set of partner companies. When purchased, the parcel was being used as a parking lot. At the time of the transaction, CIM had a 95% stake in the project, with LIVWRK and Kushner owning a combined 5%.
CIM Group purchased Kushner Companies' stake in 2018. JPMorgan provided the developers a $131.2 million construction loan in May of 2020. The building topped out in July 2020, and window installation had begun as of October.
Morris Adjmi Architects, the firm that designed Front & York, is known for re-purposing existing buildings, especially industrial structures, and for producing designs that draw inspiration from pre-existing, local architectural context.
Usage and impact
The building is residential. Upon completion, the building will contain 320 rental apartments and 408 condominiums. The building will be the largest in DUMBO when completed. Norman Oder, writing for The Bridge, speculated that it could increase the neighborhood's population by as much as 25%. The increase in population is expected to impact the York street station of the New York City Subway.
Condominium owners and renters will have access to a pool, a parking lot, and a private park. Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates designed the park. The organization also designed nearby Brooklyn Bridge Park.
- Young, Michael (9 January 2020). "Front & York's Residential Towers Begin to Rise Above Podium Level in DUMBO, Brooklyn". New York YIMBY. YIMBY.
- Wilson, Reid (22 December 2016). "New Owners Buy High-Profile Mixed-Use Development Site at 85 Jay Street, DUMBO". New York YIMBY. YIMBY. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Nonko, Emily (4 August 2016). "Jehovah's Witnesses' Watchtower building in Brooklyn sells for $340M". Curbed NY. Curbed. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Oder, Norman (13 June 2018). "How a Huge New Project Will Change the Face of Dumbo". The Bridge. The Bridge. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Cazacu, Pavel (21 May 2020). "CIM Group JV Gets $131M Brooklyn Project Loan". www.multihousingnews.com. Multi-Housing News. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Young, Michael (14 July 2020). "Front & York Tops Out at 85 Jay Street in DUMBO, Brooklyn". New York YIMBY. YIMBY. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Hubert, Craig (12 October 2020). "Windows Going In at Massive Development on Former Witnesses Parking Lot in Dumbo". Brownstoner. Brownstoner. Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- McKeough, Tim (24 October 2017). "A New Manhattan Tower With a Gothic Twist (Published 2017)". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Margolies, Jane (13 September 2019). "Dumbo Project to Include 700 Luxury Apartments (Published 2019)". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Houterman, Rachyl (18 January 2019). "Behold the New Giant of Dumbo, called Front & York". The Bridge. The Bridge BK. Retrieved 11 October 2020.