This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1 November 2013 front page of
|Owner(s)||The Hindu Group|
Frontline is a fortnightly English language magazine published by The Hindu Group of publications from Chennai, India. R Vijaya Sankar is the editor-in-chief of the magazine. As a current affairs magazine, it covers domestic and International news. Frontline gives a prominent place to various issues of development and hindrances in the Indian states. Apart from topics of politics and political economy, it also covers a wide range of topics including Arts, books, cinema, Science and English language.
Frontline was first published in December 1984. It was originally intended to be a newspaper when it was started by the founders, they later had differences in opinion regarding the content and intent of the publication and the magazine was sold to PL Investments Ltd, which later sold it to The Hindu Group.
Contributors and perspective
Its regular contributors include known progressive writers such as C. P. Chandrasekhar, Praful Bidwai, R.K. Raghavan, Jayati Ghosh and Bhaskar Ghose. Aijaz Ahmad, a Marxist literary critic and political analyst, also contributes occasional essays on various topics. Vijay Prashad, the Marxist historian, writes a regular "Letter from America" for the magazine, as well as reports on American issues.
Frontline is noted for its serious coverage of issues. The magazine has made it a point to analyse issues related to the working classes, the unorganized sectors, tribal regions, etc. in India.
Since, 1991, the magazine has opposed the economic reforms of successive governments comprising disinvestment in state owned corporations, opening of areas like telecom and insurance to private and foreign players among others.
Regular correspondent, Dionne Bunsha received the Ramnath Goenka in 2007 for outstanding reporting in the field of environment and books. Journalist, P.Sainath, a frequent contributor to Frontline won the 2007 Ramon Magsaysay Award in the fields of creative arts, journalism and communication.
- "The Hindu relaunches Frontline". Afaqs. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "The Invisible Intellectual". ZNET. 11 March 2004. Archived from the original on 29 September 2007. Retrieved 27 July 2007.
- "Weavers in Distress". Frontline. 7 August 2002. Archived from the original on 17 September 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- "Tribal Issues". Frontline. 3 June 2005. Archived from the original on 12 August 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- "Disinvestment Designs". Frontline. 4 June 2005. Archived from the original on 22 October 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- "Award for Bunsha". The Hindu. 18 July 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2007.
- "Award for Sainath". The Hindu. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2007.
- "Awards for journalists". Frontline. 29 August 2003. Archived from the original on 3 June 2009. Retrieved 1 August 2007.