|Location||Zittauer Str. 43|
02826 Görlitz, Germany
|Land area||5 hectares (12 acres)|
|No. of animals||500|
|No. of species||100|
|Annual visitors||140.000 (2015)|
|Owner||Naturschutz-Tierpark Görlitz e. V.|
Founded in 1957, it covers 5 hectares (12.4 acres) and houses 500 animals from 100 species and also some types of domestic breeds.
Görlitz Zoo was founded 1957 upon the initiative of the mayor of Görlitz, Bruno Gleißberg, and the directors of gardens, Henry Kraft, on the private grounds of the factory owner, Richard Raupach, which was given to the public of Görlitz after 1945.
Among the first enclosures was for wild boars and roe deers, a pony stable, and "Bärenzwinger", a cage for brown bears, followed, in the early 1960s, by enclosures for fallow deers, monkeys and a bird aviary, as well as a kitchen to prepare foods for the animals.
Number of visitors
- "EAZA Member Zoos & Aquariums". eaza.net. European Association of Zoos and Aquaria. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Zoos and Aquariums of the World". waza.org. WAZA. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Fehler 404 - Seite nicht gefunden — Alles-Lausitz.de". Archived from the original on 2016-03-31. Retrieved 2016-07-20.
- sz-online. "Sächsische Zeitung — online".
- "Fehler 404 - Seite nicht gefunden — Alles-Lausitz.de".
Media related to Tierpark Görlitz at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tierpark Görlitz.|
|This article on a zoo, aquarium, safari park, dolphinarium, or aviary is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Saxony location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|