Sir George Allanmore Ogarren Alleyne (born in St. Philip, Barbados, on 7 October 1932) served as United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean region 2003-2010. He was appointed to the position by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in February 2003.
Early life and education
George Allanmoore Ogarren Alleyne was born in 1932 in St. Philip, Barbados, to a mother who was a homemaker and a father who was an elementary school teacher. He studied medicine and earned Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at the University College of the West Indies and graduated as the gold medallist in 1957. He later earned Doctor of Medicine from University of London in 1965. Later he pursued his postgraduate training in internal medicine in the United States.
In 1972, Alleyne became Professor of Medicine at UWI. In 1976, he was appointed Chairman of the Department of Medicine. In October 2003 he was appointed Chancellor of the University of West Indies.
Besides his academic experience, Alleyne also gained much experience in working for international organizations. In February 1995, he became Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO). He served two four-year terms in this position until the end of January 2003 and was elected Director Emeritus. After his retirement, Alleyne was appointed by WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to serve on the Independent High-level Commission on Non-Communicable Diseases from 2018 until 2019.
Alleyne was made a Knight Bachelor by Queen Elizabeth II in the 1990 New Year Honours, and awarded the Order of the Caribbean Community in 2001 - the highest honor that can be bestowed on a Caribbean national. In October 2008 he received the Science of Peace Award from the Inter American Heart Foundation. On June 14th, 2017 he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Toronto.
- "George Allenmore O'Garren Alleyne", Caribbean Icons in Science, Technology & Innovation", NIHERST.
- "Sir George Alleyne is UWI Chancellor", Jamaica Gleaner, 1 October 2003. Accessed 19 October 2008.
- "Fitting tribute paid to Sir George Alleyne",[permanent dead link] Jamaica Observer, 6 November 2002. Accessed 19 October 2008.
- WHO Independent High-level Commission on NCDs World Health Organization (WHO).
- "Sir George for Science of Peace lecture and award", Stabroek News, 7 October 2008. Accessed 19 October 2008.
- "#UofTGrad17: Three things you should know about Sir George Alleyne", UofT News, 14 June 2017. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- "Sir George Alleyne". United Nations. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "George Alleyne". Disease Control Priorities Project. Archived from the original on 13 October 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "Gallery of PAHO Directors". Pan-American Health Organisation. Archived from the original on 5 September 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- Sir George Alleyne, Caribbean Community (CARICOM) website