George Anderson Dohrmann
February 14, 1973
|Nationality||U. S. Citizen|
|Education||BA American Studies,|
Notre Dame (1995)
MFA in Creative Writing,
University of San Francisco
|Alma mater||University of Notre Dame|
|Known for||Investigative reporting|
|Parent(s)||George and Suzette|
George Anderson Dohrmann (born February 14, 1973), is a contributing writer for Sports Illustrated, the 2000 Pulitzer Prize winner for beat reporting, and author of Play Their Hearts Out, which received the 2011 PEN/ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing.
Background and career
In 2000, while working at the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dohrmann won a Pulitzer Prize for a series of stories that uncovered widespread academic fraud in the University of Minnesota men's basketball program. The Citation says,
Awarded to George Dohrmann of St. Paul Pioneer Press for his determined reporting, despite negative reader reaction, that revealed academic fraud in the men's basketball program at the University of Minnesota.
Dohrmann published his first book, Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine, on October 5, 2010, through Ballantine Books. The book was the result of more than eight years of investigative work. The book "reveals a cutthroat world where boys as young as eight or nine are subjected to a dizzying torrent of scrutiny and exploitation. At the book's heart are the personal stories of two compelling figures: Joe Keller, an ambitious coach with a master plan to find and promote 'the next LeBron,' and Demetrius Walker, a fatherless latchkey kid who falls under Keller's sway and struggles to live up to unrealistic expectations."
- Associated Press Sports Editors, second place, enterprise reporting, 1995.
- Associated Press Sports Editors, second place, investigative reporting, 1996.
- Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Beat Reporting, 2000.
- Winner of the Award for Excellence in Coverage of Youth Sports, 2010. Play Their Hearts Out
- Winner of the PEN/ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing, 2011. Play Their Hearts Out
- Los Angeles Times, staff writer, Sports section, 1995–1997.
- St. Paul Pioneer Press, staff writer, Sports section, 1997–2000.
- Sports Illustrated, senior writer, 2000–2015
- Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine (unabridged ed.). Random House LLC. 2010. ISBN 978-0345523167.
- Hand-Me-Down Dream (Essay): Father, Son, and the Burden of Basketball (unabridged ed.). Random House LLC. 2012. ISBN 978-0345530127. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- List of University of Notre Dame alumni#Journalists and media personalities
- 2000 Pulitzer Prize
- PEN/ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing
- Sports Illustrated – click [show] in infobox "Staff writers" section
- The Commencement Exercises. University of Notre Dame: May 19, 1995. p. 36.
- "Beat Reporting – Biography". The Pulitzer Prize Winners 2000. The Pulitzer Board. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Dohrmann, George (2010). Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine (unabridged ed.). Random House LLC. ISBN 978-0345523167.
- "George Dohrmann - About George". georgedohrmann.com. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Pulitzer Prize – Citation". The Pulitzer Prize Winners 2000. The Pulitzer Board. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Award for Excellence in Coverage of Youth Sports". Penn State College of Communications.
- "2011 ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing". PEN American Center. Retrieved 7 March 2014.