Gibraltar House flying the Gibraltar Flag (2009).
|Address||150 Strand, London, WC2R 1JA|
The Representative of Gibraltar in Aldwych, London is the diplomatic mission of the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar in the United Kingdom, also referred to as Gibraltar House. Located on Strand, it works like an informal consulate, tourist information centre about the British rule on Gibraltar and deals with the needs of Gibraltarian patients sent over by the Gibraltar Health Authority for medical treatment in the United Kingdom.
The first Gibraltar House, a small tourist information office, was opened in Northumberland Avenue, London, in the early 1970s. The first Director was Helen Gordon. A subsequent Gibraltar Tourist Office was opened in Trafalgar Square, under the command of John Joe Gomez. Soon after, it opened a much larger office at 179 Strand, directed by Jose Rosado and later by Richard Garcia. In 1989, Albert Poggio took over as Director, a position which he has held to this date (he was briefly replaced by Peter Canessa between 2011 and 2012). In 2009, the Gibraltar House moved to its current location at 150 Strand.
Although Albert Poggio had not become Director of the House until 1989, he had been suggesting the creation of a "social centre" in London since 1969, due to the work that he developed as Chairman of the Gibraltar Group, which congregated Gibraltarian expatriates in London.
- "The London Diplomatic List" (PDF). 14 December 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 December 2013.
- "Gibraltar House". Pater Johnson Merriman. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Albert Poggio, Gibraltar's Man In London" (pdf). Rock Talk. April 2009. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Gib's man in London" (pdf). The Gibraltar Chronicle. 25 April 1990. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Gibraltar London - Official site". Government of Gibraltar. Archived from the original on 7 May 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Gibraltar House - Business Suites" (PDF). Government of Gibraltar. Archived from the original (pdf) on 16 December 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Una oficina une el Peñón y Londres" (in Spanish). europasur.es. 22 December 2007. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
|This London location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Gibraltar-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|