Gilbert Joseph Birnbrich
|23rd Attorney General of the Northern Mariana Islands|
July 6, 2014 (acting until September 24) – January 12, 2015
|Nominated by||Eulogio “Eloy” Songao Inos|
|Preceded by||Joey Patrick San Nicolas|
|Succeeded by||Edward Eladio Manibusan|
|Born||March 27, 1970|
|Alma mater||Ohio State University|
University of Toledo College of Law (JD, 2003)
Early life and career
Birnbrich is a native of Columbus, Ohio. He studied law in Ohio, before moving to the Northern Mariana Islands in 2003. He served as a clerk for Judge Alex Munson in the District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands from 2003 to 2006, before working in private practice for attorney Colin Thompson. In February 2010 he joined the CNMI Office of the Attorney General, becoming Chief of the Civil Division in May 2011. On December 30, 2013, he was appointed Deputy Attorney General. While at the OAG Birnbrich was a witness in the criminal trial of his former boss, ex-Attorney General Edward Buckingham, over the events culminating on Saturday, August 4, 2012.
When Attorney General Joey San Nicolas resigned to run for Mayor of Tinian, effective July 5, 2014, Birnbrich became the acting Attorney General. He was then appointed to the post in his own right by Governor Eloy Inos, and confirmed by the Senate in September 2014. Birnbrich was the last Attorney General appointed by a governor before the position became an elected office, as of the 2014 elections.
- "9 Gilbert Birnbrich Tesimony at House Impeachment Committee". Retrieved 28 June 2020.
- "Birnbrich is named permanent chief of OAG's Civil Division". Saipan Tribune. July 5, 2011. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- "Birnbrich is named deputy attorney general" (Press release). Northern Mariana Islands Office of the Attorney General. January 12, 2014. Retrieved June 26, 2016.
- De La Torre, Freddie (February 11, 2014). "Historic trial of Buckingham begins". Saipan Tribune.
- "AG Joey San Nicolas resigns". Marianas Variety. June 5, 2014. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- Erediano, Emmanuel (August 4, 2014). "Birnbrich appointed AG". Marianas Variety. Retrieved June 26, 2016.
- Villahermosa, Cherrie Anne (September 25, 2014). "Senate confirms nomination of AG Birnbrich". Marianas Variety. Retrieved June 26, 2016.
- Eugenio, Haidee (August 5, 2014). "Inos appoints Birnbrich as AG". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved June 26, 2016.