Gliding Heritage Centre
|Location||Lasham Airfield, Hampshire|
Christopher Wills, the son of Philip Wills, founded the Vintage Glider Club in 1973. He died on 4 May 2011 but left a bequest of £100,000 to build a hangar to house vintage gliders plus his Steinadler. A group of enthusiasts decided to create a Gliding Heritage Centre which could be visited by members of the public in a building called The Chris Wills Memorial Hangar. It is a registered charity No 1148972.
After raising more money and with much volunteer work, the first hangar was opened on the 4th August 2013 during the 41st International Vintage Glider Club rally that was held at Lasham that year. Further fund raising allowed the building of a second hangar to house the ever increasing collection of gliders. Hangar 2 was officially opened on 25 August 2018.
A dedicated workshop is almost complete following a further bequest from Trish Williams. This will allow some of the aircraft in the collection to remain airworthy, as well as restoration and conservation of the rest of the fleet. The workshop will be used for the teaching of the skills required to restore and repair wooden gliders, as these skills are becoming increasingly scarce. It is planned to add a viewing area in the workshop to allow the public to see work that is being done.
|Clarke Chanute||TWK Clarke & Co||1910|
|EoN Baby||Elliotts of Newbury||1949|
|EoN Eton||Elliotts of Newbury||1951|
|Olympia 2b||Elliotts of Newbury||1958|
|Olympia 460||Elliotts of Newbury||1960|
|Olympia 463||Elliotts of Newbury||1965|
|Grunau Baby||Hersteller Flugzeugbau||1952|
|Lo 100||Wolf Hirth||1953|
|JSH Scorpion||J. Halford||1977|
|Spalinger S-21h||J. Lemp||1943|
|Bergfalk 55 - II||Scheibe||1963|
|Scott Viking 1||Scott Light Aviation||1938|
|Foka 4||SZD Poland||1963|
|YS 53||Yorkshire Sailplanes||1974|
Other gliders in private ownership are also made available to the collection from time to time.
- "GHC Home page". Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "List of aviation museums". Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "British Gliding Association". Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "Charity Commission". Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "RAF Museum's description" (PDF). Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "ABPic Photo library". Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- "All-Aero.com web site". Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- Bezouska, Paul (2007). "Zlín - The success story of the Moravian aircraft manufacturer". Fliegerrevue Extra. Möller (19): 29. ISSN 0941-889X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gliding Heritage Centre.|