Goldfield Mill, Tring
Goldfield Mill, Tring from Icknield Way
|Mill name||Goldfield Mill|
|No. of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Double Patent sails|
|Auxiliary power||Steam engine|
Goldfield Mill was first mentioned in Pigot's Directory of 1839 when James Grover was the miller. The mill remained in the Grover family until 1880. In 1898, a 6 horsepower (4.5 kW) steam engine was installed as auxiliary power. During Thomas Liddington's tenure of the mill, miller Henry Liddington was fined £10 for taking an excessive toll of flour. Goldfield Mill was working by wind until 1908, when miller James Wright left to assume the tenancy of Pitstone Windmill. The mill worked by steam until the 1920s The mill was converted to residential accommodation in 1973.
- James Grover 1839-61
- William Grover 1861-80
- Thomas Liddington 1880-85
- White & Putnam 1885-95
- James Wright 1895-1908
Reference for above:-
- "THE BARN AND WINDMILL, 4 ICKNIELD WAY (south side), TRING, DACORUM, HERTFORDSHIRE". English Heritage. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- Moore, Cyril (1999). Hertfordshire Windmills and Windmillers. Sawbridgeworth: Windsup Publishing. pp. 99–100. ISBN 0-9533861-0-4.
- Windmill World webpage on Goldfield Mill.