|Single by Lil Wayne featuring T-Pain|
|from the album Tha Carter III|
|Released||May 27, 2008|
|Length||4:04 (album version)|
2:38 (UK radio edit)
|Lil Wayne singles chronology|
|T-Pain singles chronology|
"Got Money" is the third single by American rapper Lil Wayne from his album Tha Carter III (2008). The single features American singer T-Pain. Both Lil Wayne and T-Pain use the Auto-Tune effect in the song. The single was released as a digital download on iTunes on May 27, 2008. Lil Wayne and T-Pain performed the song at the BET 2008 awards and the 2008 MTV Music Video Awards. MTV also ranked the song as the number 19 Hip-Hop song of 2008.
The UK radio edit version, released by Universal Ireland, removes the intros and the outros of the song. Its duration is 2:38.
The official remix, featuring Young Money Entertainment artist Mack Maine, was used to make the music video. The video was shot and released on June 23, 2008, the same day the video for "A Milli" was shot, in Los Angeles and is a follow up to the cliffhanger of "A Milli." The video is directed by Gil Green. Lil Wayne has claimed on his video blog it was based on the film Inside Man. Ray J, Shorty Mack, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Birdman, Tyga, Brisco, Lil Twist, Lil Chuckee, Jay Rock, 2 Chainz, Kidd Kidd, and the producers of the song, Play-n-Skillz, make cameos in the video. The bank lobby shots are the same bank used in the film Set It Off. The music video premiered on multiple MTV channels on June 23, 2008. In the end, Lil Wayne is the only one arrested while the crew escapes with the money, including Mack Maine and Birdman.
The song was covered by Korn vocalist Jonathan Davis. The cover features Slipknot and ex-Stone Sour guitarist Jim Root and Korn drummer Ray Luzier and was released on Jonathan Davis' solo band website, and is available on iTunes.
The song was the "Hot Shot Debut" of the week on the Billboard Hot 100, entering at #13, making it one of Lil Wayne's highest debuts. This also made it his second highest peaking song in his solo career, although it's now his third highest peaking. 15 weeks following its Hot 100 debut, the song rose to a new peak on the chart of #10, giving Lil Wayne his third consecutive top ten hit from Tha Carter III. It has become his fifth top ten on Hot Rap Tracks, thus far peaking at #2. It has been most successful on U.S. Rhythmic stations, reaching number one on the Rhythmic Top 40. "Got Money" was nominated for the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards.
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000|
Sales+streaming figures based on certification alone.
- Got Money (ft. T-Pain) - Single Archived 2011-06-07 at the Wayback Machine Accessed May 27, 2008.
- Reid, Shaheem (2008-12-15). "Lil Wayne's 'A Milli' And More Top Hip-Hop Songs Of 2008; 50 Cent Pledges Loyalty To Eminem: Mixtape Monday - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- Lil Wayne (2008-07-01). Weezy Blog #2.2 - Part 2 of the "Got Money" Music Video. QD3/YouTube.
- Reid, Shaheem (2008-07-25). "Lil Wayne Plays A Modern-Day Robin Hood In 'Got Money' Video -- Check Out A Clip Here!". MTV News. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Download to Jonathan Davis' cover of "Got Money"". Archived from the original on 2008-09-13.
- September 25, 2008. Travis Barker Records "Got Money" Remix Day Before Plane Crash. Accessed September 25, 2008.
- "Juelz Santana Feat Skull Gang - What You Reppin / NEW". Daily Motion. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Freedman, Pete (10 June 2011). "Play-N-Skillz Sue Lil Wayne -- And His Entire Posse -- For $1 Million Over "Got Money" Rights". dallasobserver.com. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- Montero, Douglas (June 11, 2011). "Lil Wayne accused of rap rip-off". New York Post.
- "Lil Wayne Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Lil Wayne feat. T-Pain – Got Money" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Lil Wayne feat. T-Pain – Got Money" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Zywietz, Tobias (February 6, 1997). "Chart Log UK: DJ Steve L – LZ Love". Zobbel.de. Tobias Zywietz. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Lil Wayne Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- "Hot 100 Songs – Year-End 2008". Billboard. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs – Year-End 2008". Billboard. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- "Rhythmic Songs – Year-End 2008". Billboard. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- "American single certifications – Lil Wayne – Got Money". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 29, 2020. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.