MP Gudie Hutchings in 2016
|Parliamentary Secretary for Small Business and Tourism|
December 2, 2015 – September 19, 2017
|Preceded by||portfolio established|
|Succeeded by||Alaina Lockhart|
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Long Range Mountains
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||riding established|
Gerry Byrne (Humber—St. Barbe—Baie Verte)
|Born||September 1, 1959|
Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador
Gudrid "Gudie" Hutchings (born September 1, 1959) is a Canadian politician elected to represent the riding of Long Range Mountains in the House of Commons of Canada in the 2015 federal election. Hutchings is a member of the Liberal Party of Canada, and has since December 2019 served as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development. She previously served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Small Business and Tourism from December 2015 to September 2017.
Early life and career
Prior to her election, Hutchings was a local businessperson with a nearly three-decade career primarily in the tourism and outfitting industries. She owned fly fishing lodges in Labrador, spent more than ten years on the board of the Newfoundland and Labrador Outfitters Association – rising to the position of president, and served on the inaugural national board of the Canadian Federation of Outfitting Associations. She is also a former president of the Corner Brook Chamber of Commerce. At the time of her election, Hutchings was also the chair of the Battle Harbour Historic Trust. She volunteered for over 15 years with Girl Guides of Canada as a Brownie, Guide, Pathfinder, and Ranger Leader, and was a girl member during her childhood, calling it a "huge part of her growing up".
Gerry Byrne, who held the riding of Humber—St. Barbe—Baie Verte for the Liberal Party of Canada since 1996, decided in June 2014 to not to run in the 2015 federal election and instead run in the 2015 Newfoundland and Labrador general election. Hutchings, endorsed by Byrne, decided to run for the nomination in November 2014. She secured the nomination in March 2015 to run as the Liberal candidate in the riding of Long Range Mountains, and was elected in the federal election with about 74% of the vote.
On December 2, 2015, Hutchings was appointed Parliamentary Secretary for Small Business and Tourism. On November 6, 2017, Hutchings was appointed to the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians.
Hutchings was re-elected in the 2019 federal election, and on December 12, 2019, was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development.
|2019 Canadian federal election: Long Range Mountains|
|New Democratic||Holly Pike||7,609||19.8|
|Veterans Coalition||Robert Miles||411||1.1|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||38,426||100.0|
|Total rejected ballots||576|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2015 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Devon Babstock||4,739||11.33||–6.51||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||41,824||100.0||$241,354.60|
|Total rejected ballots||108||0.26||–|
|Source: Elections Canada|
- Hurly, Cory (October 18, 2015). "Long Range Mountains candidates". thewesternstar.com. The Western Star. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "HUTCHINGS, Gudie". Library of Parliament. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Gudrid Hutchings seeking Liberal nomination for Long Range Mountains". www.thewesternstar.com. The Western Star. November 7, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Long Range Mountains: The race guaranteed to produce a new MP". CBC News. October 14, 2015. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Yvonne Jones, Gudie Hutchings named parliamentary secretaries". CBC News. December 2, 2015. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "New face, same party: Liberal Gudie Hutchings clinches Long Range Mountains". CBC News. October 19, 2016. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- Crocker, Diane (March 17, 2015). "Hutchings building her team for federal election". www.thewesternstar.com. The Western Star. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- Fitz-Morris, James (December 2, 2015). "Bill Blair, Adam Vaughan among new parliamentary secretaries". CBC News. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "Prime Minister announces new National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians". Prime Minister's Office. November 6, 2017. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- "Roles - Gudie Hutchings - Current and Past - Members of Parliament - House of Commons of Canada". www.ourcommons.ca. Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- "List of confirmed candidates". Elections Canada. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Election Night Results". Elections Canada. Retrieved November 5, 2019.
- "October 19, 2015 Election Results — Long Range Mountains (Validated results)". Elections Canada. 23 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine