Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
|Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (more)|
The Hereditary Grand Duke in 2013
|Born||11 November 1981|
Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy (m. 2012)
|Father||Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg|
|Mother||María Teresa Mestre y Batista|
|*Is a prince/ss of Nassau but not a prince/ss of Luxembourg|
Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (given names: Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie; born 11 November 1981), has been heir apparent to the crown of Luxembourg since his father's accession in 2000.
Early life and education
Prince Guillaume was born on 11 November 1981 at the Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital in Luxembourg City and is the eldest child of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and his wife, Cuban-born Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. He was named after his father's youngest brother Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg. His godparents are Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg and Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg. Guillaume has four younger siblings: Prince Félix, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra and Prince Sébastien.
Guillaume's education includes Lycée Robert-Schumann in Luxembourg; Collège Alpin International Beau Soleil and Institut Le Rosey boarding schools in Switzerland; and Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Camberley, England. He began his higher education studies in the United Kingdom where he studied at University College, Durham and Brunel University, both in England. In 2006 he entered Institut Philanthropos in Fribourg, Switzerland, where he spent a year studying philosophy and anthropology. He later studied letters and political science at the Institut Albert-le-Grand in Angers, receiving his bachelor's degree with honors in 2009. His degree was issued by Université d'Angers, as a result of a partnership agreement between the two schools.
Hereditary Grand Duke
Guillaume has been heir apparent to the crown of Luxembourg since his father's accession in 2000. If he succeeds to the grand ducal throne, he will reign as Guillaume V (English: William V). He has been honorary chairman of the Board of Economic Development of Luxembourg since 2001.
The Hereditary Grand Duke is patron to the Luxembourg Cycling Sport Federation, Youth Hostels Central, National Association of Road Victims, Chamber Orchestra of Luxembourg, Youth Harmony Orchestra of the European Union, as well as to Young Entrepreneurs Luxembourg and Special Olympics Luxembourg Associations.
During the summer of 1997, Guillaume participated as a member of Luxembourg Scout Movement in a humanitarian camp in Nepal. He involved in a reforestation project and other actions for the benefit of the less favored communities. In 2017, the Hereditary Grand Duke joined the board of directors of the World Scout Foundation to support the development of scouting around the world.
In 1999, he participated in a charitable mission to Aguascalientes to provide the educational and social assistance to young people in one of the most deprived areas in Mexico. After having chaired for more than 10 years (2000–2011) in Kräizbierg Foundation, which works for people with disabilities; the Hereditary Grand Duke accepted the title of honorary president in March 2011.
Since 18 January 2016, the Hereditary Grand Duke has also been a member of the board of directors of Europäische Stiftung Kaiserdom zu Speyer Foundation.
Marriage and fatherhood
At the occasion of his 30th birthday, he gave interviews during which stated that he was in a relationship with a "dear miss" that had been going strong for more than a year but insisted that they need some more time to evaluate their possible future. On 26 April 2012, the court announced the engagement of the Hereditary Grand Duke to the Belgian Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy. Guillaume and Stéphanie share a common descent from Charles Marie, Prince & 5th Duke d’Arenberg, which means that Guillaume's father and Stéphanie are 7th cousins; thus Guillaume is Stéphanie's 7th cousin once removed.
Guillaume and Stéphanie have a son, named Prince Charles, born on 10 May 2020 at Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital in Luxembourg. He is second in the line of succession to the throne of Luxembourg.
Guillaume is interested in music and sports; he plays the piano and enjoys football, swimming and volleyball. He speaks Luxembourgish, French, German, Spanish and English. He regularly represents his parents in many foreign activities.
Titles and style
The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
His style and title in full is: His Royal Highness Prince Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma.
- Knight of the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau (11 November 1981)
- Knight Grand Cross of Order of Adolphe of Nassau (11 November 1981)
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Oak Crown (23 June 2012)
- Belgium: Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
- France: Grand Officer of the Order of the Legion of Honour
- Italy: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Netherlands: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau
- Recipient of the King Willem-Alexander Inauguration Medal
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Aviz
- Slovakia: Grand Officer of the Order of the White Double Cross
- "Le Grand-Duc Héritier". Grand Ducal Court of Luxembourg.
- "Le Grand-Duc Héritier" [The Hereditary Grand Duke]. Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg (in French). Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- "Guillaume et Stéphanie se financent demain". Luxemburger Wort. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Nikkhah, Roya (20 October 2012). "Luxembourg's royal wedding draws regal guest list". The Telegraph.
- "BREAKING: Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg gives birth to her first child – a son". Royal Central. 10 May 2020. Retrieved 10 May 2020.
- Actualités: S.A.R le Prince Guillaume devient le Grand-Duc Héritier Archived 25 December 2015 at the Wayback Machine – Official website of the Luxembourg Government
- "Honorary distinctions of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg" (PDF). Service Information et Presse. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 January 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Princes and Princesses of the Grand-Ducal House of Luxembourg are Grand Crosses of the Order by birth but the decoration is worm only after they reach their majority (18 years old)
- Gazzetta Ufficiale
- Slovak republic website, State honours Archived 13 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine (click on "Holders of the Order of the 2nd Class White Double Cross" to see the holders' table) : 2nd Class received by Hereditary Grand-Duke in 2005, i.e. during the state visit Archived 24 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine (French) of Grand-Duke, Grand-Duchess & Hereditary Grand-Duke in Slovakia (7 September 2005).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg.|
- Le Grand-Duc héritier – Official website of the Grand Ducal Palace
Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Cadet branch of the House of NassauBorn: 11 November 1981
|Lines of succession|
|First in line||Line of succession to the Luxembourger throne||Succeeded by|
Prince Charles of Luxembourg
Henri, Grand Duke
| Line of succession to|
the French throne (Legitimist)