Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
Gulph Mill which supplied grain to George Washington's army. Photograph c. 1922
|Elevation||148 ft (45 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||610 and 484|
|GNIS feature ID||1176308|
Gulph Mills is an unincorporated community in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. It is served by the Upper Merion Area School District. There is a station on the Norristown High Speed Line.
A grist mill built here in 1747 supplied flour to the Continental Army during their stay at Valley Forge. General George Washington's army encamped in the area for a week before departing for winter quarters at Valley Forge. Washington used the area as an ammunition depot during the autumn of 1777. The encampment is marked by a memorial erected by the Sons of the American Revolution in 1893.
Another attraction here is the "Hanging Rock", a major distraction on Pennsylvania Route 320. Hanging Rock reportedly holds importance as a place by which George Washington led his troops. PennDOT has looked to remove Hanging Rock, but preservationists have battled such action since the 1970s.