Hawaii House of Representatives
|Hawaiʻi House of Representatives|
|Hawaii State Legislature|
Length of term
|Authority||Article III, Hawaii Constitution|
|Salary||$57,852/year + per diem|
|November 8, 2016
|November 6, 2018
|Redistricting||Hawaii Reapportionment Commission|
|House of Representatives Chamber
Hawaii State Capitol
|Hawaii House of Representatives|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Hawaii House of Representatives is the lower house of the Hawaii State Legislature. Pursuant to Article III, Section 3 of the Hawaii Constitution, amended during the 1978 constitutional convention, the House of Representatives consists of 51 members representing an equal amount of districts across the islands. It is led by the Speaker of the House elected from the membership of the House, with majority and minority leaders elected from their party's respective caucuses. The current Speaker of the House is Scott Saiki.
Legislators are elected to two-year terms and are not subject to term limits. As in many state legislatures in the United States, the Hawaii House of Representatives is a part-time body and legislators often have active careers outside government. The upper chamber of the legislature is the Hawaii State Senate.
Composition of the House of Representatives
(Shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of previous legislature (2016)||44||7||0||51||0|
|March 22, 2017||5||1|
|June 19, 2017||46||0|
|August 29, 2017||45||50||1|
|December 22, 2017||46||51||0|
|Latest voting share||90%||10%|
|Speaker Emeritus||Calvin Say||Democratic||20|
|Joseph M. Souki||Democratic||8|
|Vice Speaker||Mark Nakashima||Democratic||1|
|Majority Leader||Della Au Belatti||Democratic||24|
|Majority Floor Leader||Dee Morikawa||Democratic||16|
|Majority Whip||Ken Ito||Democratic||49|
|Minority Leader||Andria Tupola||Republican||43|
|Assistant Minority Leader||Bob McDermott||Republican||40|
|Minority Floor Leader||Gene Ward||Republican||17|
|Minority Leader Emeritus|
|Assistant Minority Floor Leader||Cynthia Thielen||Republican||50|
|Minority Whip||Lauren Matsumoto||Republican||45|
Past composition of the House of Representatives
- Rep. Beth Fukumoto (R-36) switched parties from Republican to Independent, is "pursu[ing] membership in the Democratic party". 
- Bussewitz, Cathy (June 19, 2017). "Hawaii lawmaker switches to Democrat after criticizing Trump". ABC News. Archived from the original on June 22, 2017.
- Dayton, Kevin (August 29, 2017). "Governor nominates Oshiro to chair labor board". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- Y.K. Pang, Gordon (December 22, 2017). "Wahiawa leader Learmont to replace Oshiro in the House". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- Eagle, Nathan (December 29, 2014). "State Rep. Johanson Leaves Republican Party, Joins Democrats". Honolulu Civil Beat. Peer News. Retrieved December 29, 2014.