|Heroes Den Bosch|
|League||Dutch Basketball League|
|Born||17 September 1987|
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||230 lb (104 kg)|
|NBA draft||2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 47th overall|
|Selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
|2019–2020||Heroes Den Bosch|
|2021||Heroes Den Bosch|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Henk Norel (born 17 September 1987) is a Dutch retired basketball player. He currently is a performance coach for the Heroes Den Bosch of the Dutch Basketball League (DBL). He was drafted with the 47th overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves. He also appeared in 79 international games representing the Netherlands.
Starting from the 2009–10 season Norel became a rotation player for Joventut in the Liga ACB.
In the 2012 offseason Norel signed a three-year deal with CAI Zaragoza, another team from the ACB. In his first season his numbers rose, as he averaged 13.3 points per game and was 5th in PIR rating in the league. After Norel suffered a knee injury in May 2013, he took a long time to recover. His first appearance back on the court was in January 2014.
On 26 June 2017, Norel left Zaragoza after five seasons.
On 4 August 2017, Norel signed with RETAbet.es GBC. In his first month with GBC, Norel received the ACB Player of the Month Award for October. He was named to the All-Liga ACB First Team after the 2017–18 season.
On 6 December 2019, Norel signed a contract until 2021 with Heroes Den Bosch of the Dutch Basketball League (DBL). It marked the first time Norel signed with a team from his home country. In his debut season in the DBL, Norel averaged 7 points and 4.7 rebounds over seven games.
On 3 August 2020, Norel announced his retirement citing lingering knee injuries as reason, but on January 9, 2021, the Heroes Den Bosch announced the return of Norel. On 18 February, Norel retired again after appearing in two games. He joined the club's staff as performance trainer.
National team career
Norel represented the Netherlands national basketball team in international competitions. With the Netherlands, he played at EuroBasket 2017. On 17 May 2018, Norel announced his retirement from the Dutch national team, as he indicated he needed rest to focus on his club career. Over an 11-year span, Norel played 79 games with the Netherlands.
- "Basketballer Henk Norel als 47-ste gedraft | RTV Rijnmond". Rijnmond.nl. 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Holland - CAI Zaragoza to sign 3-year deal with Henk Norel | MLBB - Sports Agency WebSite Template". Mlbb.d11.gr. 2012-07-20. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Norel Injury Deals Blow To Dutch Hopes". FIBA Europe. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Henk Norel leaves Zaragozza". Sportando.com. 26 June 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Henk Norel inks with Gipuzkoa". Sportando.com. August 4, 2017. Retrieved August 4, 2017.
- "Henk Norel, MVP Movistar de octubre". www.acb.com (in Spanish). 31 October 2017. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- All-ACB First and Second Team Announced
- "Henk Norel, carácter de MVP para o Cafés Candelas Breogán - CB Breogán". CBBreogan (in Galician). 26 July 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Henk Norel is officieel been Hero". Heroes Den Bosch. 6 December 2019. Retrieved 3 August 2020.
- "Henk Norel retires at 32: "I don't want another knee surgery"". Sportando.basketball. 3 August 2020. Retrieved 3 August 2020.
- "HENK NOREL SLUIT AAN BIJ HEROES DEN BOSCH". heroesdenbosch.com (in Dutch). 9 January 2021. Retrieved 9 January 2021.
- "Basketballer Norel (30) stopt na elf jaar bij Oranje". AD.nl. 17 May 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2020.
- HENK NOREL BEËINDIGT INTERLANDCARRIÈRE