Henry J. Aaron
|Henry J. Aaron|
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles
|Occupation||Policy analyst, economist|
|Known for||Healthcare policy analysis|
|Board member of||Center on Budget and Policy Priorities,
Social Security Advisory Board
Henry Jacob Aaron is an American policy analyst and economist. He is the Bruce and Virginia MacLaury Senior Fellow in the Economic Studies Program at the Brookings Institution, where he has been employed since 1968. He served as director of the program from 1990 through 1996.
Aaron was nominated to the Social Security Advisory Board (SSAB) by President Barack Obama, receiving confirmation to the post by the United States Senate in 2014. He serves as Chairman of the Board of the SSAB. He is a proponent of a single-payer health care system,[not in citation given] though he has questioned the feasibility of implementation in the United States.
Aaron is a graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles and holds a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University. From 1967 until 1989, in addition to his role at Brookings, Aaron taught at the University of Maryland. From 1996-1997, Aaron was a Guggenheim Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University. From 1997-1998, he was Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation at the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare and the next year he chaired the Advisory Council on Social Security. Aaron received the 2007 Robert M. Ball Award for Outstanding Achievements in Social Insurance.
Aaron is a member of the Institute of Medicine, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the advisory committee of the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research. He has been vice-president and member of the executive committee of the American Economics Association and president of the Association of Public Policy and Management. He has also served on the board of trustees of Georgetown University and the board of directors of the College Retirement Equity Fund. He serves on the board of directors of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
- "Henry J. Aaron". Brookings Institution. Archived from the original on 3 June 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Update: New Social Security Advisory Board Members Confirmed". Yahoo News. Social Security Advisory Board. September 9, 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Rivlin, Alice (1992). Reviving the American Dream: The Economy, the States & the Federal Government. Brookings Institution Press. p. 163. ISBN 9780815791683.
- Fitzgerald, Jay (January 25, 2015). "Costs derail Vermont's dream of a single-payer health plan". Boston Globe. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Aaron, Henry (January 26, 2016). "The impossible (pipe) dream". Brookings Institution. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Gray, Johanna. "Henry J. Aaron". National Academy of Social Insurance. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Congressional Record 113th Congress (2013-2014)". THOMAS. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Aaron, Henry (January 30, 2006). "A healthcare prescription that's hard to swallow". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Henry J. Aaron" (PDF). www.brookings.edu. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 23, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- "Henry Aaron". Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research. Archived from the original on 27 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Roberts, Russ (November 15, 2007). "Henry Aaron on Health Care Costs". EconTalk. Library of Economics and Liberty.
|This biography of an American economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|