Hillsdale station (New York Central Railroad)
|Location||Between Anthony Street Extension, and Railroad Lane|
Hillsdale, New York, 12529
|Opened||May 10, 1852|
|Closed||March 20, 1972 (passenger service)|
March 27, 1976 (freight)
The New York and Harlem Railroad built their main line through Hillsdale between 1848 and 1852, and installed a station there. The station catered to a local community that had a substantial industry during that era. The line provided both passenger and freight train services, and was acquired by the New York Central System in 1864. It was frequently used by Edna St. Vincent Millay, who became a local resident in 1925. It was one of the stations on the Harlem Line to serve limited stop trains that went from New York City all the way to Pittsfield, Massachusetts and North Adams, Massachusetts in the Berkshires. Such through trains were replaced by shuttle transfers in 1950.
However, with the demise of the Harlem Division passenger service north of Dover Plains on March 20, 1972, the station was closed for passengers and provided freight only services. Hillsdale provided commercial freight services until 1980, when the tracks north of Wassaic were dismantled.
- Layton, Preston (March 21, 1972). "PC Ends Run, Strands Riders". New York Daily News. p. 22. Retrieved December 5, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Railroad Hopes to Realize $432,386 in Millerton - Chatham Line Abandonment". The Poughkeepsie Journal. August 26, 1962. p. 9B. Retrieved December 30, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "New York Central Railroad, Tables 6, 98". Official Guide of the Railways. National Railway Publication Company. 64 (9). February 1932.
- "New York Central Railroad, Tables 11, 90". Official Guide of the Railways. National Railway Publication Company. 71 (3). August 1938.
- New York Central timetable, September 1947, Table 42
- New York Central timetable, June 1950, Table 47
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-09. Retrieved 2009-03-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|