Host Hotels & Resorts
|Host Marriott Corporation (1993-2005)|
|Traded as||NYSE: HST|
S&P 500 Index component
|Industry||Real estate investment trust|
| Richard E. Marriott, Chairman|
James F. Risoleo, President & CEO
|Revenue||$5.524 billion (2018)|
|$1.099 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||$12.090 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||$7.494 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. is a real estate investment trust that invests in hotels. As of February 21, 2019, the company owned 93 upscale hotels containing approximately 52,000 rooms. The company is ranked 502nd on the Fortune 500.
In 1897, the Van Noy Brothers of Kansas City, Missouri, formed Van Noy Railway News and Hotel Company to operate news stands along the Missouri Pacific and other regional railroads. The company later expanded to various hospitality services, including hotels. After several name and business changes it became the Host International Company in 1968. It became part of Marriott Corporation in 1982. Eleven years later Marriot divided its business into two companies, naming one Host Marriott. The new company, much like its predecessor, continued to manage travel concessions at airports and along interstate highways. These concession businesses were further spun off as Host Marriot Services, or HMSHost. After divesting its non-hotel business and reorganizing as a REIT, it adopted its current name in 2006.
- "Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. 2018 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Host Hotels & Resorts". Fortune.
- "Marriott Offers To Buy Gino's". The New York Times. Associated Press. January 5, 1982.
- Jones, William H. (December 21, 1981). "The Marriott 'Snack Attack'". The Washington Post.
- "Host Marriott to Separate Concessions Unit From Hotel Holdings". The New York Times. August 10, 1995.
- Rosenwald, Michael S. (November 15, 2005). "Host Marriott To Buy 38 Hotels". The Washington Post.
- "Host Marriott Buys Starwood Hotels for $4B". Fox News. Reuters. November 14, 2005.
- Business data for Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc.: