IAAF Super Grand Prix
|Sport||Track and field|
The IAAF Super Grand Prix was an annual series of one-day track and field competitions organized by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). Over the competition's history, a total of nine different meetings were part of the circuit – all of which were European meetings with the sole exception of the Qatar Athletic Super Grand Prix, introduced in 2004.
Created in 2003, it became the second-highest tier in the IAAF World Outdoor Meetings series, behind the IAAF Golden League and above the IAAF Grand Prix and IAAF Grand Prix II level meetings. It began with seven meetings and expanded to eight meetings for the 2004 and 2005 series. In 2006 the competition was incorporated into the IAAF World Athletics Tour, retaining its status as the second highest tier of annual meetings. The series was reduced in scope to six meetings that year, then had only five meetings in its last three years.
Athletes earned points at the meetings, dependent upon their finishing position, and the overall points leaders from the wider circuit gained entry to the annual IAAF World Athletics Final. The IAAF Super Grand Prix was made defunct along with the World Athletics Tour in 2010, as both were replaced by the IAAF Diamond League and IAAF World Challenge series. Six of the nine Super Grand Prix meetings were elevated to the Diamond League series.
|Edition||Year||Start date||End date||Meets||Ref.|
|1||2003||12 June||8 August||7|||
|2||2004||14 May||30 July||8|||
|3||2005||13 May||21 August||8|||
|4||2006||12 May||20 August||6|||
|5||2007||11 May||7 August||5|||
|6||2008||9 May||2 September||5|||
|7||2009||8 May||31 August||5|||
|7||London Grand Prix||London||United Kingdom||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP|
|4||Qatar Athletic Super Grand Prix||Doha||Qatar||–||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP|
|4||Athens Grand Prix Tsiklitiria||Athens||Greece||SGP||SGP||SGP||SGP||–||–||–|
|3||British Grand Prix||Gateshead||United Kingdom||SGP||SGP||SGP||–||–||–||–|
|3||Golden Spike Ostrava||Ostrava||Czech Republic||SGP||SGP||SGP||–||–||–||–|
|3||Meeting de Atletismo Madrid||Madrid||Spain||SGP||SGP||SGP||–||–||–||–|
- IAAF / VTB Bank World Athletics Final 2009 - Who and how many qualify?. IAAF (2009-03-069). Retrieved on 2009-09-07.
- Turner (2005). "IAAF - World Athletics Tour". International Sports Press Association. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Grand Prix Schedule 2003. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- Grand Prix Schedule 2004. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- Grand Prix Schedule 2005. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- World Athletics Tour 2006. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- World Athletics Tour 2007. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- World Athletics Tour Results 2008. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- World Athletics Tour Results 2009. IAAF. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- IAAF World Athletics Tour site (archived)